How to install! (The FAQ is NOT clear)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

schnide

How to install! (The FAQ is NOT clear)

Post by schnide »

Okay guys, I'm not a technophobe and I do know how to read. However, the installation instructions are not clear and I had to dig around for what is a very simple install process.

Aside from the DLDI section, you need to:

1) Download the SCUMMVM for DS files
2) Unzip and copy them to the root of your memory card
3) Find out what game files are needed from your ORIGINAL copy of the game you want to play, from:

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

4) Make a folder in the root called whatever you want (ie. ATLANTIS, DOTT, BASS) and copy the required files in there
5) Boot
6) Play

It's that simple. Hope this helps.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Hi, we are always happy to get patches which improve our docs! Not having a DS myself, from a brief look it still seemed as if what you describe here is more or less exactly what is written on http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/#howto -- could you elaborate how that text should be changed to make it better?

Thanks!
schnide

Post by schnide »

Sure - I hope my comments were seen as constructive, and not critical. I love this application and have been really enjoying playing Fate of Atlantis again.

My suggestion is that you should have a very clear sentence in it's own paragraph, rather than lodged in the large one it's currently in.

In addition, I think you should also state that the ScummVM files go in the root directory of the card, and not just saying that they go on the card non-specifically. Having a link to the Wikipedia page as I've done would also be helpful - imho.

I think my instructions are clearer, and although I might be stating the obvious to you, I found other people seem to be having problems too on these forums which could be solved with that guide.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

In addition, I think you should also state that the ScummVM files go in the root directory of the card, and not just saying that they go on the card non-specifically. Having a link to the Wikipedia page as I've done would also be helpful - imho.
They don't. Most cards allow the ScummVM files to be placed anywhere. Some cards insist that it must be in a certain folder, it varies.

Also, I have not suggested that people copy only the necessary files from the Wiki page onto their card, because this is more complex, and not really necessary. Copying the whole game onto the card is easy, and in most cases only a tiny amount of space is saved by removing files which ScummVM doesn't need.

While your instructions describe what you did, there are many variations, and the ScummVM DS site needs to carry a generic set of instructions which are detailed enough to cover most hardware setups. There are parts of the instructions you won't have to follow with certain hardware, but this should be clear.[/quote]
schnide

Post by schnide »

The fact that I got it wrong proves my point exactly.

Your instructions are badly worded and are not clear.

I would say just keep doing what you're doing then, but it looks like you already plan to.

I solved my problems so have no need to return. On behalf of you reading this who've come here with similar problems for similar reasons, I apologise on behalf of the admins.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

schnide wrote:The fact that I got it wrong proves my point exactly.

Your instructions are badly worded and are not clear.

I would say just keep doing what you're doing then, but it looks like you already plan to.

I solved my problems so have no need to return. On behalf of you reading this who've come here with similar problems for similar reasons, I apologise on behalf of the admins.
Well, your instructions do not give any details on how to run specific games (as the DS port has many different executables, each one supporting a different subset of games). You pretty much tell people to download ScummVM, copy the program in a folder and the game(s) they want in other folders, point ScummVM to these folders via "Add game" and play the game. These are the most basic instructions for desktop versions of ScummVM (i.e. for PC/Mac versions), but the console ports of ScummVM, like the DS port, have specific instructions for the appropriate port. So, sadly, even though your steps are valid for desktop versions, they give no details on how to run the game on non-desktop ports, like the DS.

Therefore, I don't see why the instructions that agent-q gave to ease up the whole process of running ScummVM on the DS are "not clear", since there is all sorts of crystal clear information given for the whole process, together with any problems that the user might have. Do your instructions give all that? Doesn't seem so. The fact that you got it wrong means that you haven't read the instructions, or didn't want to read them. Plus, as agent-q mentioned, each card has its own quirks on where to place game files.

As for the required data files, it's a matter of preference mostly :) You can either copy all the files of a game (which is usually easier), or only copy the files you actually need (something which most people don't usually do). If you want to spend time and clear out the unneeded data files, that's great, but not all people do that or want to spend time and do it.

So there is no need to apologize or accuse people of "keep doing what they're doing", as your instructions are incomplete and only apply to desktop versions of ScummVM, which is not enough for the DS port, as agent-q explained already
schnide

Post by schnide »

I am using the DS version. What I did worked for me and hopefully it'll help out someone else.

I was under the impression that my English is pretty damn good, as is my reading ability, but I still had trouble in using "instructions" that I consider to be badly worded.

But as I said, continue to do what you're doing. If you think I'm the only one who had problems, then obviously it's written perfectly, and you can keep acting like I've just insulted dead family members, rather than simply having told you that your instructions aren't as good as they could, or should be.
MajinChibi

Post by MajinChibi »

*g*

only 2 out of 10 read FAQ´s or instructions, and a half of the 2 is a nitpicker, great ;)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

MajinChibi wrote:*g*

only 2 out of 10 read FAQ´s or instructions, and a half of the 2 is a nitpicker, great ;)
Actually, this is the most useful reply in this thread :)
LurkerScum

Post by LurkerScum »

I figured out everything by looking at the instructions from agent_q. In fact, they're a lot easier to understand than yours. I need clear and concise instructions, not some over-generalized-"Oh-you'll-figure-it-out" instructions. Sure if you don't know much about this stuff you have to read up on it, but so what? You wanted it, work for it. And if I read your instructions, I'd be left wondering what to do. Sorry, but you're no help at all schnide.
Slacb

Post by Slacb »

There's a video on YouTube which explains how to get Monkey Island on your DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5yZyUVGL1I