A question about importing sound

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kinky_willow

A question about importing sound

Post by kinky_willow »

Ok I apologise for asking an extremely dense question.

I have managed to get monkey island working on my DS (must have fluked it! but massive yay none the less!)

However the music isn't playing, though sound effects appear to. I have read all the info in the guide and have downloaded cdex to convert the tracks...so that should be fine, apart from one small thing......

I have the white label PC version of Monkey Islands 1 & 2 and when i opened up the files to copy them onto my stick i am confronted by such file names as (in the monkey1 folder):
ADLB.IMS
MONKEY1.000
ROLAND.IMS
SPEAKER.IMS
MONKEY1.001
SOUNBLAS.IMS

and the auto run MONKEY1

Now which one of these is the music? they all appear to be programs!

Once again sorry to be asking really simple questions, but i looked in the forum and no one else appears to be as dumb as myself!

Cheers

~Kinky~
tomten

Re: A question about importing sound

Post by tomten »

kinky_willow wrote:I have managed to get monkey island working on my DS [...] However the music isn't playing, [...] cdex to convert the tracks...
CDex is only for converting "CD audio", which means the game CD can also be played as an audio CD in a CD player. This is not the case with Monkey Island; all music is contained in the normal game files. You don't have to do anything (besides just copying the files from your game CD to your DS card) to get the music working. And AFAIK this is also true for the other games you mentioned in the other thread.

Perhaps you've turned music off in the game settings withing ScummVM? Or perhaps you are expecting music where there really is none?
clem

Post by clem »

tomten wrote:CDex is only for converting "CD audio", which means the game CD can also be played as an audio CD in a CD player. This is not the case with Monkey Island; all music is contained in the normal game files.
On the contrary, most Monkey Island 1 versions on CD feature CD audio.

kinky_willow, did you rename the mp3 files to the correct names?
tomten

Post by tomten »

clem wrote:
tomten wrote:CDex is only for converting "CD audio", which means the game CD can also be played as an audio CD in a CD player. This is not the case with Monkey Island; all music is contained in the normal game files.
On the contrary, most Monkey Island 1 versions on CD feature CD audio.

kinky_willow, did you rename the mp3 files to the correct names?
Sorry about that. But this sounded like a compilation CD without CD audio ("white box Monkey Islands" according to previous post in other thread) and no audio tracks were extracted at all according to the first post in this thread. So some audio should be playing, right?

For CDex, just start CDex and stick the Monkey Island CD in the drive. If it doesn't show any audio tracks, you can't use CDex to extract. Perhaps the audio tracks are on the CD as MP3 files already?
kinky_willow

Post by kinky_willow »

Cheers guys

I have now started ripping the music! I didn't realise you needed to use Cdex straight from the Cd i thought i had to send it to the right location.

Thanks again!