Oh no! No The Dig? Thanks anyway

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ExultDominus

Oh no! No The Dig? Thanks anyway

Post by ExultDominus »

Just got a M3 Real last week and have been playing around with it and stumbled upon that ScummVM runs on it as well. Downloaded it, read the readme and was devastated that the only LA game I own is one of the few that doesn't work...
:)
Seriously I then found out that the last time I played this with ScummVM was in May 2003 I was sure I can wait another few years until it is playable :)

But the reason I registered was solely to say that I appreciate the work on this port even though *my* game does not play on it. Gives me a reason to look for Simon the Sorcerer or so in the bargain bins :)
BIG THANK YOU!

Edit: he, I can't believe that I was only unable to use my "normal" nick because the user "Dominus" registered some hours before me :)
tomten

Re: Oh no! No The Dig? Thanks anyway

Post by tomten »

ExultDominus wrote:I was sure I can wait another few years until it is playable :)
I don't think The Dig will be playable on the NDS port in a few years, barring divine intervention. For a richer handheld experience, perhaps a device like the GP2X is more up your alley? http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/GP2X/Compatibility The Dig is fully playable on it.
ExultDominus

Post by ExultDominus »

Thanks, but no thanks. I got a NDS and don't need another gadget just because it can play the Dig :)
Maxrunner

Post by Maxrunner »

Well maybe when they start using the extra ram on cards like m3, it will be possible.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Maxrunner wrote:Well maybe when they start using the extra ram on cards like m3, it will be possible.
Unlikely. And anyway, RAM is not the only limiting factor, CPU power is, too, and The Dig needs a lot more of that compare to the games currently supported by the DS port. So while I long learned to never say never again, I still am highly skeptical of this ;)
Maxrunner

Post by Maxrunner »

fingolfin wrote:
Maxrunner wrote:Well maybe when they start using the extra ram on cards like m3, it will be possible.
Unlikely. And anyway, RAM is not the only limiting factor, CPU power is, too, and The Dig needs a lot more of that compare to the games currently supported by the DS port. So while I long learned to never say never again, I still am highly skeptical of this ;)
Well you're probably right, still LucasArts could release all the games officially, and i bet they could "port" these games for the ds without losing anything.....
ExultDominus

Post by ExultDominus »

Never say never but I don't see any chance of Lucas Arts rereleasing this old stuff. It's a too big company. Similar to EA never releasing U7 again. They are much to afraid of having to support these old games again. After all no one who ever had anything to do with developing these games is in their employee anymore (don't shoot me if I'm wrong, I'm just guessing).

As for The Dig not playable on the NDS... Oh well, on monday I started to play it on the Wii and eventually I'll be able to play it on either an iPod or an iPhone (I know you can do it now, I just don't own one, yet... :)).