Inherit The Earth, compressed voices

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Yummy

Inherit The Earth, compressed voices

Post by Yummy »

Hi! :)

First, Thanks to all the Dev who allow us playing these wonderful games on our DS!

It seems i've got a little problem with Inherit The Earth: I compressed the voices.rsc file taken from the cd version of the game with the compress_saga.exe & had at the end a voices.cmp file.

I tested the "new" game with the ScummVM PC version & all was ok!

Then i put the folder game to the root of my µds.
Using the right version (ScummVM-e), I discovered that the game worked well but that i didn't have the voices!! :cry:

So, my question is: Does the DS version of ScummVM support the compressed voices file of the game?

& if the answer is positive, did i do something wrong?...

Thanks for your help! :D
clem

Post by clem »

which format did you compress into? DS port apparently only supports mp3 compression (according to http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/index.htm#mp3 )

which version of ScummVM are you using? I think compresssed ITE is quite a new addition, maybe your version doesn't support that yet?

ScummVM's about screen should tell which compressed files are supported/which version you have.
Yummy

Post by Yummy »

Hello clem!
Thanks for your help!
clem wrote:which format did you compress into? DS port apparently only supports mp3 compression (according to http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/index.htm#mp3 )
:shock:
I am sorry clem but i don't know how to do that with the .rsc file: i've just used the command "compress_saga voices" for the compression as i've read it in the README.text, giving with the tools.

For Inherit the Earth, the digital music (music.rsc), speech (voices.rsc or "inherit the earth voices") and sound effects(sounds.rsc) files can be compressed. For I have no mouth, the speech (voices*.res) files can be compressed.

The compressed files have the ".cmp" extension. Once compressed, you only need the respective .cmp files.
So if there is a way to compress into mp3 could you please tell me what is the exact command to do so?....because i am "a bit" lost!... :oops:

clem wrote:which version of ScummVM are you using? I think compresssed ITE is quite a new addition, maybe your version doesn't support that yet?

ScummVM's about screen should tell which compressed files are supported/which version you have.

I am using the latest version, i think, which is the 0-11-0beta3 downlaoded from the forum.

However, i didn't have a look at the ScummVM's starting screen to see which compressed files are supported!
So, i am going to verify it to tell you more!
:wink:

EDIT: ok! So, the exact version i am using is the 0.11.0 build E, ITE/IHNM (SAGA)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'm sorry, but there is currently no way to get compressed voices in Inherit the Earth on the DS port. This functionality was disabled in order to gain some extra speed when running with uncompressed speech.
Yummy

Post by Yummy »

What a pity!!... :(

Thanks anyway agentq for this clear answer, dreaming that sound compression for this game will be supported on the DS port one day!

:D
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

agentq wrote:I'm sorry, but there is currently no way to get compressed voices in Inherit the Earth on the DS port. This functionality was disabled in order to gain some extra speed when running with uncompressed speech.
It would be extremely helpful if this information reflected on our Wiki.

Eugene
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Can you give me a wiki login then?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

agentq wrote:Can you give me a wiki login then?
Of course, e-mail went.

Eugene
tomten

Post by tomten »

sev wrote:
agentq wrote:Can you give me a wiki login then?
Of course, e-mail went.
Wow, is the NDS port finally going to be treated like a real family member? =]