Scumm + R4: Start game = shut down

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

vinzouille

Scumm + R4: Start game = shut down

Post by vinzouille »

Hi all,

I've done a few searches and couldn't find a solution working for me so here i am.
DS Lite
R4 (1.11 firmware)

I use the scummvm (build A) on my r4 and try to launch any game i have (monkey2 and DotT) and after choosing the game, when i click on launch my DS simply shuts down.

These ROMs work on my PC and Nokia N95
I have a FAT32 formatted 1GB card with 200MB left on it.

Anybody would know what i can try next?

Thanks a lot,
Vince
Kicklighter

Post by Kicklighter »

Hi,

Did you try to DLDI the scummvm a?
Maybe formating the MicroSD in FAT16,

Paul
vinzouille

Post by vinzouille »

The microSD was originally formatted as FAT16. Since i was having this problem i formatted it as FAT32 after reading through the forum.

I guess i'll have to play with DLDI. However when i launch the VM the upper screen tells me that the DLDI thing was successful.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

I recently got an R4, and I know that at least with the firmware I have (1.11) it autopatches .nds files with DLDI support, so there is no need to manually do so. I simply put the files on my card, launched scummvm, add the game, then click start and it works. I can't remember what type of fat my card is formatted with though, but it's a sandisk 2GB.

I haven't ever tried launching those games though, but I've had great success with samnmax and monkey1. Are you using the latest .11 version of scummvm ?
vinzouille

Post by vinzouille »

I have just tried with the latest beta version of scummVM .11 and i get the same result.
I know everything should just flow so i don't get why it doesn't work.

I'll try again by removing any other game from the microSD but the scummvm and see what's up
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I'm not sure what could be causing your problem, but you should try holding any button on the DS when you start the game, this will stop the DS from shutting down and might reveal an error message.

If not, you should try deleting the ini files in the root directory of your flash card.

Many people have had success with the R4 so I can't understand why it wouldn't work for you.
tubeoftoothpaste

Post by tubeoftoothpaste »

im having exactly the same problem with same setup..... :-/
Sokonomi

Post by Sokonomi »

Im also an R4 user. Mine is running with a transcend 2Gb, Rock solid and fast loading gameplay with sam and max. 8)
NintendoGirl

Post by NintendoGirl »

I'm using a CycloDS Evolution, and I am having this exact same problem as well. I load up build a of SCUMMVM on my DS, select Monkey Island 2, and then select start and my DS turns off. I tried holding down the button to suspend it shutting off, but all that does is show me a black screen until i let go and then it shuts off. Any help would be appreciated.
darkmage136

Post by darkmage136 »

try putting your game(s) in separate folders

for ex:

---root---
whatever's in your microsd card
Folder: Beneath a Steel Sky
- sky.cpt
- sky.dnr
- sky.dsk
Folder: Flight of the Amazon Queen
- queen.1c

If that doesn't work, in edit game, make sure the language and platform are set to default. Also, in options, set everything that has the default option to default. I am currently using an R4DS with YSMenu 05/22/08.

Hope this helps!