ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta3 released for testing! [obsolete]

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM DS 0.11.0 beta3 released for testing! [obsolete]

Post by agentq »

Please note, this version is obsolete!
Final version 0.11.0 can be downloaded from http://www.scummvm.org/downloads.php

Hi Everyone,

Here is a third beta version of the 0.11.0 release of ScummVM DS. It needs lots of testing, since there are so many games that I don't have time to do much of it myself. So please download it. Please post, even it it works fine!

The new scaler makes text a lot more readable, at the expense of some slowdown in some of the newer games.

New function keys should make all the AGI games playable.

This is a beta release, therefore there are not full instructions. This is designed for those who already know how to use ScummVM DS. Full instructions for the older version 0.10.0 are provided on the ScummVM DS website. Please refer to these instructions, as this beta works in mostly the same way.

Also, I have been told that the same code which runs Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max can also run some of the earlier HE games, so I have added these to the list below. They seem to work fine. Please test them too!

Changes

Beta3
- Fixed CPU scaler in FM Towns games
- Enabled use of CPU scaler in menus even when turned off in the game
- Fixed function keys F5 and F7 in AGI games.
- Rearranged DS Options Menu to make things clearer and not allow conflicting options to be selected together

Beta2
- Future Wars and Gobliiins now work again
- Swapping the screens while the software scaler is enabled no longer causes odd effects

Beta1
- New games supported: Elvira 1 and 2, Waxworks (Amiga version)
- Software scaler for improved image quality. Turn it on using the DS options screen (press select during the game). Thanks to Tramboi and Robin Watts for this feature!
- Function keys added to virtual keyboard (used in AGI games)
- Plenty of bug fixes

Supported Games

Build A:
Manic Mansion
Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Loom
Passport to Adventure
The Secret of Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Bear Stormin' (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Birthday Surprise (DOS version only)
Fatty Bear's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt's Fun Pack (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Goes to the Moon (DOS version only)
Putt-Putt Joins the Parade (DOS version only)

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2
Elvira 1/2

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
The Legend of Kyrandia

Download it here:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 0beta3.zip
Last edited by agentq on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

My results with the new beta:

I played sam and max for another hour, no real issues. (some sound skipping during some of the animations, like the wig stealing animation, and the hiding in the big plaster fish animation.)

I also booted up and played for a few minutes the following without any issues: monkey1, simon1, kyra, and amazon queen.
WDeranged

Post by WDeranged »

Excellent, Zak McKracken FM Towns is working perfectly with the new scaler so far.

I recently noticed lines appearing on the screen when playing Simon The Sorcerer, usually just as a character starts to talk.

Don't think its related to the cpu scaler.

Many thanks again :)
jak66

Post by jak66 »

Thanks much. Ran into a bug with build A (my memory card corrupt so i just put on one game to test with, so I'm not sure if it's in the other builds). While using the keyboard, press shift and then a letter. The letter repeatedly inputs until another button is pressed.
Eyedunno

Post by Eyedunno »

Thanks a lot for the quick AGI F5/F7 fix. Worked like a charm. :)
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Thanks jak66,that was a nasty one. I've fixed the bug, and now the code has been tagged, so that must be the end of the beta testing period! Look out for the final 0.11.0 release in a few days time.

Thanks to everyone who tested and offered feedback.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

I know this is probably an incredible long shot, but if there is anyone that has a copy of Backyard Football 2002, could you please give this a test for me?

I'd really like to know if it at least works on the DS system.

Thank you. :)
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Smothermunchie wrote:I know this is probably an incredible long shot, but if there is anyone that has a copy of Backyard Football 2002, could you please give this a test for me?
No, that game wouldn't work on the DS port, due to hardware limitations. As the later games from Humongous Entertainment require a higher resolution (640 x 480).
knuxthefox

Test of Inherit The Earth on R4DS

Post by knuxthefox »

I hesitated to do this, because I always have to take practically everything off my card to do so...and just as expected, I was disappointed. This time around, I ran the original RSCs only, ITE.RSC, SCRIPTS.RSC, SOUNDS.RSC, and VOICES.RSC

It recognized the game. It said it was the DOS version, okay...I hit Start Game, and I just got the same blank black screen as I got in the last version of SCUMMVMDS. So, I tried changing the mode to Windows since it was the windows cd release, and....it turned my DS off!!! If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. Maybe someone could help me...there WERE other RSCs in the folder. ITED.RSC, SCRIPTSD.RSC, SOUNDSD.RSC, and VOICESD.RSC. I don't know what's so special about that D, but I'm going to try adding those and see what happens...

Edit: Okay, that D must stand for "Demo" because all that did was make the Windows Demo version appear as a selection, and that also resulted in the Black Screen of Blackness... Trying the DOS version again, the same....

Am I doing something wrong? People have said that they've gotten the game running just fine on ScummVMDS, but I can't seem to do it. Can someone perhaps help me out? These ARE the right files, aren't they?

Another Edit: I deleted the Demo files, and tried the Windows exe for the game, and it ran perfectly, and didn't have the repeating line that I faced before. I did have that on ScummVM for Windows XP, though when running the DOS CD build. Bah, the fact that the Windows version works proves nothing... Can somebody help me?
Last edited by knuxthefox on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tomten

Re: Test of Inherit The Earth on R4DS

Post by tomten »

knuxthefox wrote:These ARE the right files, aren't they?
How should we know? I even posted crc32's of working files for you, but you never even replied to that.

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=4979
knuxthefox

Post by knuxthefox »

tomten wrote:
How should we know? I even posted crc32's of working files for you, but you never even replied to that.

What are CRC32's? And the only thing posted to me was about the repeating line. I really don't care if a line in the intro of the game repeats, or about the Dreamcast version of ScummVM. The files I have are from the CD purchased from Wyrmkeep in 2006. According to the files, date last modified is 3/4/2006, but that could also just be the date it was installed.

Edit: I found your post.... But I don't know what it means. What are CRC32's? Or SFV's? As for filesizes: ITE.RSC (8,928,678 bytes), SOUNDS.RSC (7,356,540 bytes), VOICES.RSC (434,770,764 bytes), and SCRIPTS.RSC (335,927 bytes)
tomten

Post by tomten »

knuxthefox wrote:
tomten wrote:
What are CRC32's? And the only thing posted to me was about the repeating line.
Hm, I don't understand. This is the post I'm talking about:
tomten wrote:
knuxthefox wrote:I've tried ITE on the previous three builds to see if I could get it to work
I've played this version successfully with (at the very least) the latest stable build:

Code: Select all

filedate filetime filesize  filename    crc32 ("sfv")
1994-05-10  16:48 8.903.828 ITE.RSC     f36031f9
1994-05-10  16:14   327.162 SCRIPTS.RSC a64481e5
1994-05-08  21:14 5.695.569 VOICES.RSC  6762148b
However, since you have the Wyrmkeep re-release (and I don't) you most probably have different files...

CRC32 is a method of generating the "fingerprint" of a file. Fingerprinting is useful in situations like these, to determine whether you and I have the same files; even if the file sizes are the same, the content might be different. Another popular fingerprinting method is "MD5".

I don't know why ScummVM recognizes your files incorrectly, but that's likely to be the cause of the problem. There is detailed compatibility information in the ScummVM wiki at scummvm.org, have you looked there?

Also, I know you might've answered this before, but does the Wyrmkeep ITE (i.e. the same .RSC files) work in the corresponding Windows/OSX/etc version of ScummVM?

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your edit. =] According to http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Inherit_The_Earth the Wyrmkeep version should work. Perhaps you could try applying the patches mentioned? (I think they require access to Microsoft Windows.)
Last edited by tomten on Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The files with the "D" are the files of the demo version. Mixing files from the full version and the demo version is a very very very bad idea, don't be surprised if bad things happen...

The files needed for ITE can be found in the datafiles page:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Dataf ... or_the_Orb

For your version, you only need ITE.RSC, SCRIPTS.RSC, SOUNDS.RSC, and VOICES.RSC

Also, as mentioned, does the Windows/OSX etc version of ScummVM run your version of ITE? (the version you got runs fine here with the Windows version of ScummVM - just retested it)
tomten

Post by tomten »

knuxthefox wrote:there WERE other RSCs in the folder. ITED.RSC, SCRIPTSD.RSC, SOUNDSD.RSC, and VOICESD.RSC. I don't know what's so special about that D, but I'm going to try adding those and see what happens...
Sorry, I completely missed this part. Don't use those files. Create a new folder, and copy the four .RSC files mentioned earlier from the Wyrmkeep CD into it, and try it with OSX/Windows ScummVM. If it works, try it with the latest ScummVM DS beta.
knuxthefox

Post by knuxthefox »

tomten wrote:
knuxthefox wrote:
tomten wrote:How should we know? I even posted crc32's of working files for you, but you never even replied to that.
What are CRC32's? And the only thing posted to me was about the repeating line.
Hm, I don't understand. This is the post I'm talking about:
tomten wrote:
knuxthefox wrote:I've tried ITE on the previous three builds to see if I could get it to work
I've played this version successfully with (at the very least) the latest stable build:

Code: Select all

filedate filetime filesize  filename    crc32 ("sfv")
1994-05-10  16:48 8.903.828 ITE.RSC     f36031f9
1994-05-10  16:14   327.162 SCRIPTS.RSC a64481e5
1994-05-08  21:14 5.695.569 VOICES.RSC  6762148b
However, since you have the Wyrmkeep re-release (and I don't) you most probably have different files...

CRC32 is a method of generating the "fingerprint" of a file. Fingerprinting is useful in situations like these, to determine whether you and I have the same files; even if the file sizes are the same, the content might be different. Another popular fingerprinting method is "MD5".

I don't know why ScummVM recognizes your files incorrectly, but that's likely to be the cause of the problem. There is detailed compatibility information in the ScummVM wiki at scummvm.org, have you looked there?

Also, I know you might've answered this before, but does the Wyrmkeep ITE (i.e. the same .RSC files) work in the corresponding Windows/OSX/etc version of ScummVM?

EDIT: Sorry, I missed your edit. =] According to http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Inherit_The_Earth the Wyrmkeep version should work. Perhaps you could try applying the patches mentioned? (I think they require access to Microsoft Windows.)
Okay, I went and got the files from the original DOS CD version dated 5/25/1994 to 6/3/1994. I'm going to try them before heading off to work, this morning.