Steel Sky probs

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Jojo Jr.

Steel Sky probs

Post by Jojo Jr. »

Hi everyone. Got a couple of Qs - hope they haven't been asked already - by the way, I'm using an R4, and the latest version SCUMMVM on a DS Lite.

I've had some trouble with Steel Sky lately - specifically the end cut scene. For some reason, (SPOILERS FOLLOW) just after the last line of the game is uttered by Hobbins, the screen fades to black as normal, but then, just when the helicopter cutscene is due to kick in, (SPOILERS END) all I see is the cityscape matte painting and a strange, thin line of pixels flickering at the top left hand side of both screens. The music continues with no credits, and when I press SELECT, or START, the DS shuts off. I've tried formatting my SD and reinstalling the game several times, but with little to no success.

Also, having dug out my old Police Quest and Larry games, I was wondering if there are any plans to update the virtual keyboard to incorporate F-keys? Police Quest was almost impossible to finish without them, and now, I can't seem to get much further on Larry either.

And finally, I'm sure the answer to this is obvious, but does anyone remember an old Amiga game called Dreamweb, and could SCUMMVM be used to run that on a DS? It's pretty similar to Sierra/Lucasarts-type adventure games.

Thanks in advance, guys.

-- Clark.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I've no idea about the end of Beneath a Steel Sky, I haven't got that far myself. Perhaps you could try the same section of the game on the Pc version of ScummVM. If it happens there, it's worth filing a bug in the bug tracker.

As for your other questions, yes, the virtual keyboard will have function keys in the next version for the Sierra games.

Your last question is answered in the main ScummVM FAQ, but briefly, adding games is a very complicated process which involves pretty much rewriting games from scratch, unless you have the source code from the original game. So unless you are willing to work on it yourself, it's unlikely to happen.
Jojo Jr.

Post by Jojo Jr. »

Hi, I'll try out Steel Sky again on the PC. In retrospect, it sounds more like a hardware problem than anything else, but you never know - could be a bug. Thanks!
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

wups, hate to bump a old thread, but I just finished BSS with the latest beta and had the same problem at the end. Anyone notice this in the PC version? Suppose I could not be lazy and try it myself. Is it possible to transfer saved games from DS to PC so I don't have to play through the whole game to test?

p.s. I'm still geeking out about how awesome scummvm is on ds.
clem

Post by clem »

johnzo wrote:Is it possible to transfer saved games from DS to PC so I don't have to play through the whole game to test?
Yes, the savegames should be interchangeable.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

Yep, i transfered the files to my pc and they worked. I checked the ending of bss and the animation and credits do work on the PC version, but on the DS version it's exactly as Jojojr said, no animation, just a static screen with some garbage pixels in the corner. I can send someone the sav files if they want to play around with it, just let me know.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I've PM'd you about sending me the save. That would be very handy.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

Files away!
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I have the same problem. I have a feeling it's a common bug.
johnzo

Post by johnzo »

It's a confirmed issue with the DS port specifically, possibly others, but I've only tried DS and PC. Agentq is aware of it, it'll probably be fixed eventually. You can always boot it up on PC to see the ending if you want, that's what I did. :wink:
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

Not too bothered, I still feel proud that I completed the game in the middle of a class. And I've seen the ending many times.