Little OT: Ron Gilbert loves ScummVM wants it official on DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chrisis

Little OT: Ron Gilbert loves ScummVM wants it official on DS

Post by chrisis »

http://www.worldofmi.com/features/interview/gilbert.php
Read this great interview with the creator of Monkey Island, he actually recommends to Lucasarts to license ScummVM, so they could officially release it on the DS. I'm definitely with Ron Gilbert on this :-)
What do you think of the new consoles? Do you think they will breathe new life into the adventure genre?

Hard to say. XBLA would be a great channel for adventure games, but Microsoft is still pretty closed about what gets on there. A truly open platform like that would allow adventure games to flourish. The Nintendo DS would also be a wonderful system for traditional point and click games. LucasArts should cut a deal with the SCUMMVM guys and then release all the classic games on one DS cartridge. It would cost them almost nothing and make over a billion dollars. That's dollars with a D.
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

billion dollars? im sceptical.

also, why pay for something thats free?
seubz

Post by seubz »

PsYcO: what do you mean by "something that's free" ? ScummVM obviously is, but not the games. So for people like me who don't have all the original LEC games, it would definitely be a great deal, and I'm sure a lot of other people would buy that cartridge.
ShadeJackrabbit

Post by ShadeJackrabbit »

Not to mention that they would probably be able to include the memory addon to run games like The Dig or The Curse of Monkey Island. (I'm thinking they'd get some huge team on top of it.)
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

I do agree with Ron there, then again I agree with him for most things ^^

Lucasarts would make thousands, if not millions, but not a billion, no. As we see with ScummVM, these classics are in such high demand and ScummVM being free... It really would cost nothing for Lucasarts to do a simple repackaging of these classics with SVMDS. Obviously, they'd have to handle savegames somehow.
Roman

Post by Roman »

PsYcO wrote:also, why pay for something thats free?
Free to us nerds and pirates. Normal people never heard of flashlinker cards or even Scummvm.
tomten

Post by tomten »

Roman wrote:
Free to us nerds and pirates. Normal people never heard of flashlinker cards or even Scummvm.
Question is also, would the NDS really be the Scumm VM console of choice for people who get a device for the sole purpose of ScummVM? Isn't GP2X a better candidate for that? I think it's awesome that ScummVM works as well as it does on the NDS, but it doesn't run all LucasArts titles, so it would be a strange choice of device for them.

The C64DTV comes to mind...
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

tomten wrote:
Roman wrote:
Question is also, would the NDS really be the Scumm VM console of choice for people who get a device for the sole purpose of ScummVM? Isn't GP2X a better candidate for that? I think it's awesome that ScummVM works as well as it does on the NDS, but it doesn't run all LucasArts titles, so it would be a strange choice of device for them.

Err, I think Gilbert's talking about the idea of selling the LucasArts classics to the bajillions of people who own a DS already.
tomten

Post by tomten »

luigihann wrote:
tomten wrote:
Roman wrote:Free to us nerds and pirates. Normal people never heard of flashlinker cards or even Scummvm.

Err, I think Gilbert's talking about the idea of selling the LucasArts classics to the bajillions of people who own a DS already.
Yes? We know that; the interview is linked in the first post in this thread.

The NDS' stylus is perfect for some games. Some would probably require a mouse...
GrubbySeismic

Post by GrubbySeismic »

Just to tangent a little: think of all the otherwise disatisfied customers LA now have & how many could they woo back again with a public release on this scale 8)