Simon the Sorcerer External Music for DS Port Available

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JamesWoodcock

Simon the Sorcerer External Music for DS Port Available

Post by JamesWoodcock »

f you use your Nintendo DS with the ScummVM DS Port, you can now enjoy my external enhanced soundtrack for this device. It is compressed to IMA ADPCM, mono, 22,050Hz quality, but doesn’t sound bad at all through the DS speakers.

Please note that this isn't supported by the port author yet, so there may be problems within the game that weren't expected.

> Simon the Sorcerer External Music for DS Port
Guybrush_Threepwood

Post by Guybrush_Threepwood »

Hey glidem!

Just wanted to tell you that you´ve done an amazing job there! Haven´t encountered any flaws yet, even more, the gameplay and audio speech run so much smoother now, not mentioning the great improvement to the music!!! Before, the language was stuttering and the animations needed some time to load up, but now it runs rock solid without any slowdowns at all! How in the world did you do that?
Well, however, thanx alot

Guybrush

Oh, by the way, I´m playing the german talkie version on M3Real (newest Scumm Beta 0.13.1)
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Well I can't take credit for the smoothness, but thank you for your comments regarding the music :)
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

Well done glidem! Fantastic work!

Any chance for Simon 2?!!!! For the moment i have only found the soundtrack in ogg format for PSP build of Scummvm only here:

http://pix.www.idnet.com/
another world

Post by another world »

after some testing i see that dropping your files in the directory allow them to play. great work, i can't wait to see how the other projects turn out. good luck and thanks for taking the time to do this.

cheers,
-another world
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Atrus wrote:Any chance for Simon 2?!!!! For the moment i have only found the soundtrack in ogg format for PSP build of Scummvm only here:

http://pix.www.idnet.com/
There is a DS version up with the PSP one now on the same site. It seems to work fairly well but the sound sticks a bit during the intro and the volume control doesn't work yet. It won't work with the Windows version of simon2 either - you need the DOS one.
Atrus

Post by Atrus »

Well done Pix2! I'll give it a try asap. Your PSP build which i have already tried is also great.

Special thanks for your DS build though; the Nintendo DS port is my favourite by far!!
another world

Post by another world »

pix: is it required to use your v14 nds compiled port for these music enhancements. secondly, is the freesci engine running in your nds port?

-another world
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

Yes, you need the 14.0 build.

I tried compiling SCI but it wouldn't even start up which was no great surprise. It's coming along but I expect it will be months before its playable on DS. It already runs some games on PSP but is still extremely slow at times.
another world

Post by another world »

is there any chance of you offering your enhancements to agentq's scummvm build so that it supports your audio files?

i'm just thinking of the larger majority who might be reluctant to try another build but who also wish to have the enhanced audio.

great job on the audio by the way. the files sound great.

-another world
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

There isn't any chance of my code making it into official builds for various reasons, the main one being legal issues over distributing the soundtracks. At least this way it means I don't have to take it too seriously. If it was going into the official builds I'd have to do the job properly and it would become more like work.