ScummVM DS 0.10.0 beta2 released for testing!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

agentq
ScummVM Porter

ScummVM DS 0.10.0 beta2 released for testing!

Post by agentq »

This is a beta release, therefore there are not full instructions.

This is designed for those who already know how to use ScummVM DS.

Full instructions for the older version 0.9.1a are provided on the ScummVM website at http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com and these are largely the same for this beta version. Please note the table of which games are supported on which build. Some of these have changed from previous versions.

Please post any bugs you find with this beta in this thread.

If a week goes past without too many problems, I will release this as a final 0.10.0. If there are major problems, I'll release a 0.10.0 beta3

NOTE: In order to use the word completion in AGI games in this version, place the file 'pred.dic' contained in the archive into your AGI game data directory.

Download by clicking on this link:
http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/scummv ... 0beta2.zip

Changes in This Version
-----------------------
- Changed word completion keyboard to get the word list from

the pred.dic main dictionary instead of the game dictionary

- Fixed several key repeat bugs

- Improved control system in Goblins 3

- Added icons for build D - F

- Added snap to borders option to make it easier to get the mouse

cursor to the edges of the screen.

Supported Games
---------------

Build A:
All Lucasarts games from Manic Mansion to Sam & Max Hit the Road

Build B:
Beneath a Steel Sky
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Build C:
Simon the Sorcerer 1/2

Build D:
Sierra AGI games
Gobliiins 1 - 3
Bargon Attack
Ween: The Prophecy
Future Wars

Build E:
Inherit the Earth

Build F:
The Legend of Kyrandia
morukutsu

Post by morukutsu »

:D The save works now with Goblins 3 and the snap to border option is very nice, thanks !
Kicklighter

Post by Kicklighter »

Agenq

Where is the special SegaCD mode?

Paul
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Where is the special SegaCD mode?
Sorry, there was too much work to do on on the other parts of ScummVM to look at adding this. Since this beta period has already started, I will have to look at adding this for the next version of ScummVM DS.
Adzma

Post by Adzma »

Well I don't know what you did, but whatever it was fixed my annoying Sam & Max crashing bug :D. I still get that loud buzzing sound when saving or loading on Space Quest, but I'm going to fiddle around with that later and see what I can do.

EDIT: Yep, I fixed it. The problem was the regular SuperCard DLDI patch wasn't working properly. Switching to the Lite version has solved it and I it still keeps my saves! I am happy :lol:.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Thank you Agentq!

You are a machine! :D
PIC

Post by PIC »

Thanks for this new version. I have found some issues :

1 - It seems like you have forgotten to clear some debug printfs :D (kind of "Closed file/n/tentacle-es.sXX handle is Y", nevertheless nothing really serious.

2 - I have a Supercard Lite and since I have updates to last firmware (1.81) I can save to my micro SD (before I must use the save RAM feature because scummvm crash at save in a lot of games). Nevertheless I have found that, at least, DoT (Spanish PC floopy version) crash in save at any specific moments (that is, it ALWAYS crash in some rooms with some objects in the inventary and NEVER crash in others) making save some kind of frustrating experience. ¿Whats the difference between this saves?. ¿The size?. I can't understand this strange SC lite driver issues.

3 - Following with this save issues, with older Scummvm and Supercard Lite firmware versions, I only can't save in The secret of Monkey Island (Spanish PC cd and floopy versions) of the several I have tryed (DoT, Monke Island 2, Sam & Max, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis and Zack McKraken, all Spanish PC floopy versions)

Thanks for all and keep up the very good work :wink:
Garcimak

Post by Garcimak »

First of all, Thank you a lot for this awesome port ,
I've got this gem running on a R4DS

Just tried "Inherit the earth" CD version with this release, everything ok except for that loud buzzing sound during all the last intro scene (all speeches was messed up). Things are calming down after quitting this screen.

The first loading time is also extremly long

"Inherit the earth" files i've put on 2Go µSD :

SCRIPTS.RSC - 335 927 Bytes
VOICES.RSC - 434 770 764 Bytes
ITE.RSC - 8 928 678 Bytes
SOUNDS.RSC - 7 356 540 Bytes :D
Big robot Bill

Post by Big robot Bill »

My previous problem with GOB3 not loading is still there. I don't understand why it refuses to boot, as the game loads fine on my computer and whatnot. Many others on the forum have no trouble with theirs and yet I'm using the same set up.

Again, my problem is that the game itself will not run. The Coktel logo will come up and do its thing and then ScummVM freezes. I'm using a R4 with a Kingston Taiwan microSD.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! My dream of playing Sierra adventures on my DS has come true! Ok, so far it's AGI-only, but SCI is up to the big guns in charge of ScummVM, not you... you're the one to thank for your marvelous port to the DS, and for doing justice to these awesome slices of my childhood! :)

So far I've just been testing build D (ie. the AGI games!) but they seem to work great on my M3 Simply flashcart... so far, I've crash-landed on Kerona in Space Quest 1, and plan to try and test all the AGI games all the way through, eventually.

The ONLY thing I'd like to see changed is that one of the buttons on the DS be used as 'enter' (maybe just in the 'D build'?) so that dialog boxes, etc. can be closed without needing the keyboard up (this would be especially useful for the two Manhunter games, which are 80% 'non-typing'). But if not, I won't be losing any sleep over it... it's just great to be playing these games on my DS at last!

You're a legend, mate! Cheers!

PS Playing them again, it seems to me that Manhunter 1 & 2 are PERFECT for the DS... mostly pointer-driven, a blend of puzzles and minigames, and graphics that are easily the best of any AGI game (and hey, if NES & SNES game graphics are still acceptable for ports...). It's insane that Sierra haven't tried to port these - if none of their other titles - commercially!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Just tried "Inherit the earth" CD version with this release, everything ok except for that loud buzzing sound during all the last intro scene (all speeches was messed up). Things are calming down after quitting this screen.
I've had a look at this, and it seems that Inherit the Earth comes disturbingly close to running out of memory. To help this, I've removed MP3 support for this game, saving around 100Kb. Hopefully this will help, although I'm not sure it will make enough difference. Have you played the game further through to check it doesn't crash?
The ONLY thing I'd like to see changed is that one of the buttons on the DS be used as 'enter' (maybe just in the 'D build'?) so that dialog boxes, etc. can be closed without needing the keyboard up (this would be especially useful for the two Manhunter games, which are 80% 'non-typing').
Yeah, I was planning to put a key in for that. It'll either be Start or B, haven't quite decided yet.

My previous problem with GOB3 not loading is still there. I don't understand why it refuses to boot, as the game loads fine on my computer and whatnot. Many others on the forum have no trouble with theirs and yet I'm using the same set up.
I don't know either. It could be the MicroSD card that is at fault, but I'm not sure why.
I have a Supercard Lite and since I have updates to last firmware (1.81) I can save to my micro SD (before I must use the save RAM feature because scummvm crash at save in a lot of games). Nevertheless I have found that, at least, DoT (Spanish PC floopy version) crash in save at any specific moments (that is, it ALWAYS crash in some rooms with some objects in the inventary and NEVER crash in others) making save some kind of frustrating experience. ¿Whats the difference between this saves?. ¿The size?. I can't understand this strange SC lite driver issues.
This is the misaligned data bug which seems to be there. I think the normal Supercard driver is free of this problem, so you should probably try that. Although the Supercard firmware seems to change which drivers work and which don't, so I can't really tell.
Banjo

Post by Banjo »

agentq wrote:Yeah, I was planning to put a key in for that. It'll either be Start or B, haven't quite decided yet.
My vote would be for B ('cos you need to press it quite a bit), but then I'd still want ESC to be a key too (for the menu); maybe A or Start for that? Anyway, whatever you think is best is cool.

Oh, but here's what is most likely a silly question... how the heck do I enter F1-F12, CTRL, ALT and TAB on the virtual keyboard?! I'm missing something obvious, I assume, but it's driving me crazy... not just 'cos I'm used to using them for all the Sierra AGI shortcuts (F3=repeat line, TAB=Inventory, etc.) but because I went to try Bargon Attack... and can't because you need to pres F1 to start it! :)

Thanks again for all your work, mate!
jak66

Post by jak66 »

Thanks AgentQ

Keyboard in save/load screens in Simon the Sorcerer 1/2 is working now.
Also talkie is working for me again now in Simon 2 (Worked the first time, then i got an error to do with invalid WAV file or something, both times was using 0.9.1a)
M4RKYB

Post by M4RKYB »

Coupla questions, sorry if the answers are obvious.

I just tried the 0.10.0 Beta 2 build for Future Wars as the keyboard entry for saving the game was a bit sticky with Beta 1. Anyway for some reason it now demands I enter the correct answers on the copy protection screen which it didn't do previously, with Beta 1 I could put anything in and it would accept it. Any ideas? (Apart from hunting through the loft at my folks' place for the colour chart from my old Amiga version!) I'm using the same copy of FW with both Beta versions.

Also I was just wondering if Operation Stealth uses the same engine as Future Wars and can be made to run on the DS. It's another old fave of mine.

I've gotta say that ScummVM for the DS is superb. I'm so chuffed to be playing some of my long forgotten favourites again, and the DS is the perfect home for them with the stylus control.
AgentQ, I salute you.

@Banjo
Same question, are function keys supported? Tried Bargon Attack and the intro was great but then had to press F1 to continue and my fun quickly ended!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Anyway for some reason it now demands I enter the correct answers on the copy protection screen which it didn't do previously
Yeah, I made a big mistake there. I accidentally left the copy protection disabled on that game. The ScummVM project's policy is to have them all enabled except in a few specific cases, so I reenabled it in beta2.

Operation Stealth is being worked on by the engine team, so it may well be supported on a future version of ScummVM.
Tried Bargon Attack and the intro was great but then had to press F1 to continue and my fun quickly ended!
You can simply press Start at this point to start the game. To enter other function keys, just use shift with the corresponding number key on the virtual keyboard. No, I know that isn't very obvious!