Nintendo DS Port?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Monkey Island 1 Music

Post by eriktorbjorn »

sambrosnan wrote:So I read up on it, and Converted the mp3s to the correct WAV format.
I'm confused. There's no version (no legal version, at least) of Monkey Island 1 that comes with a set of MP3 files, so converting from CD audio tracks to MP3 to WAV seems rather backwards to me.
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

The version I have, didn't have any audio files anymore, so I downloaded the mp3s from a monkey island fan site. I used to own the CD of the game, but I lost it a long time ago, and luckily found a backed up copy on an old computer. From everything I have read, they are the correct music tracks, and again, the music works fine and plays the correct tracks when I use Scumm VM on my Mac.

Is there a naming convention that I am not using correctly?

I mean, as long as the music files are in the correct WAV format, which they are, shouldn't I theoretically be able to play any WAV files that are named what the game is looking for, and they'll play in game?

Why would the same game files, be calling different tracks to play on my Mac versus on my DS? There must be something I am doing wrong.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

That's really odd. I have the creepy organ music as track 4, and the intro music as track 17, just as they are on my CD.

Code: Select all

The same music files and game files will play perfectly on my Mac using Scumm VM
As far as I know, no other version of ScummVM plays ADPCM WAV files, so you're probably not listing to the files you think you are.
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

Hmmm. Interesting. I have the intro as track 1. That must be why it's not working right. Is there any way you could send me a track listing with what tracks line up with what numbers? That way I could just re-number my tracks so it'll work. I would hate to play the game with the wrong music.

Here is the track listing that I have:

01 - Opening Themes - Introduction
02 - Chapter Screen
03 - The Scumm Bar
04 - LeChuck's Theme
05 - Following The Shop Keeper
06 - Ghost Ship Shuffle
07 - Mêlée Island
08 - The Voodoo Shop
09 - Guybrush and Elaine
10 - Mêlée Forest
11 - Stan's Previously Used Ships
12 - The Fettucini Brothers
13 - The Journey
14 - Monkey Island
15 - The Cannibal Village
16 - LeChuck's Theme (Alternate)
17 - Organ Prelude
18 - Closing Themes
19 - Cue 1
20 - Cue 2
21 - Monkey Island Beach (Ambient)
22 - Monkey Island Jungle (Ambient)
23 - Monkey Island Night (Ambient)
24 - Monkey Island - Remix *)
25 - Monkey Island - Rock Remix **)
26 - Monkey Island - Rock Remix 2 **)

The tracks are at this website: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/

Is this the wrong order?

Thanks!
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

I did have them named as track01.wav etc. though.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

That order is nothing like the order I have. I don't have a track listing for it though.
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

Well that sucks for me. Thanks for checking though. I don't suppose there is any way, you would like to post your tracks as low quality mp3s, so I could listen to them and rearrange mine? That's the only way I can think of to get this to work, short of scrounging up another copy of the game on CD, which I haven't had any luck with either. Obviously, that would be a pain for you, so I completely understand if you don't want to do it, but I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
caw

Post by caw »

Hi,

I spent full afternoon trying to get the Monkey sound going on the DS. My advice would be to follow the guide at the bottom of the ScummVM DS homepage http://scummvm.drunkencoders.com/.

Download CDEX and rip the tracks with that. My Monkey CD (White Label) had 25 tracks (1st was data file) so I had to rename all tracks to be one below (2 became 1, 3 became 2 etc). I now have 24 tracks named track1.wav, track2.wav......

Anyway, hope you get it sorted!
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I think the problem is less ripping tracks and more that he doesn't have the CD.
caw

Post by caw »

:oops:
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

Exactly. I no longer have the CD in my possession, so I just found mp3 copies of the music tracks online, which I then used that ripping program, to convert to the correct WAV format. They play in the game, but in the wrong order. I just need to somehow figure out which tracks should be called what, by sound. The tracks I found online are all named and ordered, but apparently not ordered as they are on the game CD.

The only way that I can see to get this working, is either for someone who has the CD, or the tracks in proper order, to go here: http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/ and listen to the tracks, and tell me how they should be ordered to match the CD.

Anyone willing to do this? It's a long shot, but I'd really appreciate it! I really did used to have the CD, but I did not back up my audio tracks WAY back when I had my Macintosh Performa. :)
clem

Post by clem »

which leads to the inevitable pointer to forum rule #0 - how can you legally play the game if you don't own the original media?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

I would suggest that downloading music tracks from the internet has the same dubious legality as downloading the game.

Also, there would be no guarantee that the tracks downloaded from the site have the same timing or even the same number of tracks to the real game, as on the real CD some tracks contain two songs tacked on the end of each other, IIRC.
sambrosnan

Post by sambrosnan »

Sorry. Like many people, I did not read the rules before posting. I guess that is a sticky subject. I am not trying to do anything shady here. I did not realize that I was not allowed to talk about ways to get the games working as an owner of the game who is missing a piece. Thanks for all your help.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Most people on this forum can be a bit touchy about this subject, since pretty much a single word from Lucasarts could shut down ScummVM, it would look bad if there was even a hint of assisting piracy on these boards.