Suggestions for future versions of Scumm VM DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

imantor

Post by imantor »

Personally I would love to see support for some of the classic Sierra advanture games like the quest of glory series. I am currently looking into and doing some reasearch as to how to code for the DS. I have a computer science degree and figure that coding for the DS can't be that hard. Great work so far guys keep it up.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

imantor wrote:Personally I would love to see support for some of the classic Sierra advanture games like the quest of glory series. I am currently looking into and doing some reasearch as to how to code for the DS. I have a computer science degree and figure that coding for the DS can't be that hard. Great work so far guys keep it up.
Quest for Glory uses SCI. You might want to check out FreeSCI.
imantor

Post by imantor »

Does that work properly on the DS?
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

FreeSCI is not part of ScummVM, so it doesn't run on the DS. But you could always port FreeSCI to the DS if you wanted.

As for DS programming, head over to http://forum.gbadev.org/index.php. There's plenty of info and friendly people to help you out with DS dev.[/url]

Banjo: Yes, most likely there will be a D version at some point. It's a bit annoying to have so many versions, perhaps eventually I will work out a way to combine them.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

agentq wrote:FreeSCI is not part of ScummVM, so it doesn't run on the DS. But you could always port FreeSCI to the DS if you wanted.

As for DS programming, head over to http://forum.gbadev.org/index.php. There's plenty of info and friendly people to help you out with DS dev.[/url]

Banjo: Yes, most likely there will be a D version at some point. It's a bit annoying to have so many versions, perhaps eventually I will work out a way to combine them.
Would that D version contain HE games by any chance?
nabby

Post by nabby »

The guys from EZ-flash released a FAT library that also writes to SD cards. Is it possible to implement this driver with ScummVM so that we will be able to play large games on the ezflash cards?
So basically, support for ezflash cards would be awesome :)

I read that the guys from ezflash will mail you a card if you are working on homebrew games, so it might be worth a shot to mail them for a card so you can test with it.
jelbo

Post by jelbo »

nabby wrote:I read that the guys from ezflash will mail you a card if you are working on homebrew games, so it might be worth a shot to mail them for a card so you can test with it.
That's a great initiative and worth trying. Maybe it'd help 'the G6/M3 problem' as well if agentq contacted G6/M3 directly to ask for drivers/hardware. 8)
zeravlam

Post by zeravlam »

Will "Inherit the Earth" be supported?

ZRV
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

nabby: Just checked out the fat library, it seems to be the right stuff, and should be compatible with the fat libs I use. I've mailed them asking for a card, if they send me one I will be able to add support for it (assuming their code works and stuff)

clone2727: Unfortunately HE games are built on the SCUMM games, and the SCUMM engine on their own use up tons of memory. If I added the HE engine to the SCUMM build, many of the SCUMM games wouldn't run any more.

jelbo: Others have contacted the M3/G6 people without success. I have already emailed them asking them for a driver but they haven't replied. The real solution to 'the G6/M3 problem' is to buy a card that runs homebrew if you want to run homebrew on it!

zeravlam: I had a go at the Inherit the Earth engine and it had a load of odd timing issues. I mailed the port maintainer about it but haven't heard of any progress made yet. It did seem to basically work, though. Expect to see support for it sometime in the future.
bwmat

Post by bwmat »

I'm new here, and i was just wondering why saving to the m3 sd was not supported.
I KNOW it's partly because of the makers of the card being "stingy", but weirdly enough, there is homebrew that does support writing to it.
For example, right now i have nesds on my m3 sd and reading/writing works flawlessly (got it here:http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=25181)
And supposedly so does snemulds (http://snemul.free.fr/ds/)

Maybe you could ask the authors of those 2 emulators about how they got it to work?
Sorry if you knew about this ad it's a different problem entirely.
Mostly i want it to work because for some reason any ds homebrew that uses gba sram is screwed up with my m3, so right now scummvm ds is useless for me.

Oh well, i have hope.
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

As far as I know, M3 SD does work (to some extent) on ScummVM DS, including writing. It's just a bit flaky.

If it works flawlessly in other software, it doesn't mean it will work flawlessly with ScummVM, because ScummVM makes more demands on the fat library than other homebrew.

I'm not willing to work on FAT drivers, since writing ScummVM takes all of my free time already, and I don't have the necessary hardware to test on, which makes it impossible.

The exception to this is if I get sent the card reader and a driver, when I can integrate and test it.

As for the M3, people have suggested that I can use the driver in other software, and I will be looking at taking the driver from one of these for the next release.

I am bored of answering this question about three times a day, and will not continue the discussion on this topic.
Vurtual

Fast switching Scaled/unscaled screen

Post by Vurtual »

I admit that I haven't tried the latest Betas but I think my suggestion for putting in an easy way to fast switch from unscaled to scaled view on the main screen hasn't found its way into scummvm ds :(

Am I the only one who would find this feature useful?
I had this idea while playing Monkey Island 1 when you have to choose conversation lines. Would be nice to switch fast to unscaled to read the choices and then fast switch to scaled.

I'm sure there are some other classics where this could be very convenient.

However, as I said before, I love this port :D
animall

Post by animall »

Hmmm, I'm puzzled as to if this was addressed or not in this thread already, but how about offering an unscaled zoomed screen mode? Can't see a reason this would be difficult to implement. As far as I can tell the fixed 200% zoomed screen mode is unscaled. A 2x zoom though is too much to read text properly though; is it that you can only offer unscaled in zoom increments of 100%? Even if that's the case I would like to see an unscaled zoom screen in 100%, with the dialogue screen scrolling, text would look perfect!

Sent you £4 for being a rad dude
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

A 100% zoom has been suggested before, and I plan to allow that for the next version.
luigihann

Post by luigihann »

I hate to bump an old thread, but I did a search and found this one. The most recent request seems pretty similar to what I'd like to see: Scaled view on the touch screen, unscaled (fixed 100%) view on the top screen. Is there any chance of this being added, or any trick to getting the zoom to 100% on the top screen using the normal zoom mode?