Roland MT-32 emulation on 3DS port

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

wojnarabc

Roland MT-32 emulation on 3DS port

Post by wojnarabc »

Is it possible to get mt-32 music working on 3DS port ?

I was able to get it working on Windows port through copying appropriate mt-32 .rom files into scummvm directory and setting mt-32 emulation as default sound option but this routine is impossible to set up on 3DS port. I don't see the option of mt-32 eumulation there so whatever i try i end up with Adlib emulation.

I'm currently on scummvm version 2.2.0 on both 3DS and Windows end.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Roland MT-32 emulation on 3DS port

Post by sev »

No, not possible. The emulation alone is estimated to require about 1GHz of raw CPU power.
wojnarabc

Post by wojnarabc »

Thanks sev,
What about Timidity ? It would be more General Midi emulation but improvement over Adlib for sure.
Is it possible to set it up on 3DS port ? I can choose it as a sound device but it's always giving me "cannot initialize music device" message during game startup.
hpp134

Post by hpp134 »

Dealing with platform-specific issues can be a bit of a puzzle. I remember a similar situation when I tried setting up a different emulator on a console, and it felt like looking for a needle in a haystack.

I read on https://faqaudio.com/ that reaching out to the emulator's community or even the developers directly. It worked! They often have the best insights into these specific port challenges and might offer some clever workarounds.