Intel + Nokia Maemo = MeeGo

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Maemo (Nokia N800/N810/N900) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

md5
ScummVM Developer

Intel + Nokia Maemo = MeeGo

Post by md5 »

"Intel and Nokia have joined forces to create a new platform to take on Google's Android - MeeGo.

MeeGo, announced this morning, is to be constructed from the best bits of Maemo and Moblin: Nokia and Intel's existing Linux-based platforms respectively. It will be available later this year with the avowed intention of taking on Android in everything from smartphones to tablets, and all those other form factors we haven't thought of yet."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/15 ... kia_intel/
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Nokia announced their first Meego phone last week, the Nokia N9.

I'm sold and will get one of those ASAP, I hope it won't take long until ScummVM is ported for it! Cause seriously, ScummVM is the most important piece of phone software that isn't bundled with the phone from the start :P
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Unfortunately, Nokia is dropping Meego and moving to Windows Mobile. So, based on their strategic alliance with Microsoft, this will probably be the first and last phone to use Meego :(
Stephen Elop is ready to drop the MeeGo platform in favour of the Windows Phone series of Nokia smartphones. (...) Elop stressed that this meant Nokia cannot go back to MeeGo, regardless of how the N9 does.
http://www.mobile88.com/news/read.asp?f ... MeeGo-drop
Nokia had announced an agreement with Microsoft in in February that it was making Windows Phone its primary OS for future smartphone development.

The decision could jeopardize sales of the N9, as even a runaway success would give no incentive to developers to support a platform expected to live and die on the one phone.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/11 ... one.focus/
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

md5 wrote:Unfortunately, Nokia is dropping Meego and moving to Windows Mobile. So, based on their strategic alliance with Microsoft, this will probably be the first and last phone to use Meego :(
Yeah, very unfortunate :(

But I hope we will see ScummVM being ported to it anyway.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I just think it is a matter of someone picking it up.

I mean there's a PS2 port because someone cares/cared enough.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Fortunately, it seems like someone is planning on porting it to the N9. I don't know who, but this thread seem to indicate it.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Freddo wrote:Fortunately, it seems like someone is planning on porting it to the N9. I don't know who, but this thread seem to indicate it.
The only indication I could see is a post by you saying it is planned.

The list in the first post is actually a list of requested apps and only the ones in bold and have a name next are being worked on.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Ack, when I last looked ScummVM was in bold, but now it's not bold any longer :(