Help needed to correct my mistake

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Maemo (Nokia N800/N810/N900) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NymChimpsky

Help needed to correct my mistake

Post by NymChimpsky »

Hi guys

Firstly, a big thank you to the people who ported this for the N800 - I've loved playing DOTT and Monkey Island again after so many years.

However... I did something very foolish. In a mistaken attempt to really fill the screen (instead of just living with a small black border round the image) I increased the Graphics Mode to 3x.

ScummVM immediately crashed. So be it I thought - except I've not been able to get back in to correct my mistake!

I have uninstalled/reinstalled many times using the App Manager. I've also navigated to the app directory (usr/games) using Xterm and tried to run the file directly with some of the standard command line options from the PC version, but it crashes the terminal program as well!

Somehow, despite uninstalls/reinstalls and clearing *all* user data/restoring application defaults (with the function in Control Panel) ScummVM is remembering the screen setting I last used - and crashing before I can change it back to something sensible.

Please forgive my stupidity and point me to where the setting lies - or a way around it!

I'd be very grateful for any help. Thank you.

(By the way, although I remember much about boot discs and Himem etc in DOS I know almost nothing about UNIX. It took me an hour to figure out how to use the Xterm program, so please be gentle)
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

You probably need to delete the config file -- unfortunately, I do not know where that is located on the N800, but try searching for a file called "scummvm.ini", or ".scummvmrc" (might be in your home dir, hidden), and then delete or edit that file to get rid of the 3x settings.

Finally, it's definitely a bad bug in ScummVM (or SDL, depends) to let you get stuck this way, and not a sign of stupidity, so relax ;-).
Last edited by fingolfin on Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fanoush

Post by fanoush »

rm /home/user/.scummvmrc
fanoush

Post by fanoush »

or edit it

vi /home/user/.scummvmrc

go to gfx_mode=.... line, type dd (two d's) to delete this line, than two Z's (Caps+zz) to save file
NymChimpsky

Post by NymChimpsky »

Thanks very much/Danke schön, both of you, for the quick response. I'll try your suggestions when I get home.

Cheers!
NymChimpsky

Post by NymChimpsky »

Ok, have come home, turned on 'Show hidden files' and there it is! The culprit shows itself. Removed and all is now working.

Thanks very much for both your help!

I've got 3 very dull trips to London in the next week so this will keep me very entertained.

Thanks again! Very much appreciated!
trubye

thanks

Post by trubye »

just wanted to thank you as well. this was bugging me for days, and was such a quick fix...

btw, nym, if your name is a play on Noam Chomsky, that's pretty cool.

thanks again, fanoush, you saved further head pounding...
clem

Re: thanks

Post by clem »

trubye wrote:btw, nym, if your name is a play on Noam Chomsky, that's pretty cool.
probably a play on Nim Chimpsky ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky ) which itself is a play on Noam Chomsky

witty!