Nokia N900 keyboard input not working

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Maemo (Nokia N800/N810/N900) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nerdknight

Post by nerdknight »

Hi!, I've installed scummvm 1.4.0 on my n900. The keys are not responding. I've downloaded the source and ran a few tests and it seems it isn't getting any key events (only mouse events) when calling the method

Code: Select all

bool SdlEventSource::dispatchSDLEvent(SDL_Event &ev, Common::Event &event)
in file backends/events/sdl/sdl-events.cpp
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

I was afraid that would happen.
I'll try to fix it for 1.4.1.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Please log a bug with as much detail as possible (including what game(s) you were testing with)

Also, I put in a fix that will hopefully fix it in the latest (experimental) daily build. (The link is in the sticky post in this forum)

Let me know if it works (saves done with that 1.5.0~git build may not work in 1.4.0)
I don't have a N900 to reproduce/test this.
nerdknight

Post by nerdknight »

The problem was no keyboard events at all, not even at the scummvm start menu, the last build you have posted solved the problem.
Another problem with the n900 are the keybindings, the n900 doesn't have menu key nor fullscreen key, so I cannot access the in game menu and toggle fullscreen. (I suggest Ctl+m and Ctl+f)
The bindings with the volume keys doesn't work quite well, the still control the system volume, but after a while (I don't know what I did) they worked.
I ran the tests with The Curse of Monkey Island.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Go ahead and log bug reports for these issues as per forum rule 3a.

Ctrl-m cannot be used because it is used for a built-in function.
The old Maemo port cheated to achieve this (it wasn't in the official repo and was sort of hacked in)

I think I will have to use the keymapper for these functions so that you can remap them instead of them being hardcoded and potentially getting in the way of a game that uses them.

Try to find out what you did for the volume keys to work.
Smothermunchie

Post by Smothermunchie »

Another way to go is to use Xmodmap, if it's available, and change the keys this way.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

If you type in f8 in the virtual keyboard you'll bring up the keymapper.
You can set the key for global main menu there. Try that in the daily build.
Caveat: it is very experimental.
nerdknight

Post by nerdknight »

I've submitted three bugs, one for the key events problem on the N900 in scummvm 1.4.0 (that one is corrected in daily build 1.5.0git812-gc451bd4-dirty), and the other with the zoom keys bindings. This one may be related to this:
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-develo ... 2511b011b0
I added a third one for the in-game menu key binding, I think this is important. The keymapper workaround works.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

Thanks
zod

Post by zod »

tsoliman wrote:If you type in f8 in the virtual keyboard you'll bring up the keymapper.
Which build support this? I have this version installed and F8 doesn't work or i just don't now how to use it.
Could proximity sensor be used for disabling mouse clicks? Eg. when proximity is covered then no clicks. Old method, holding down ctrl key, was also ok.
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

The 1.5.0git development snapshots do. Look for the first thread in this forum (announcement)

EDIT: I was answering the part about the keymapper. I'll try to look into the proximity sensor.