ScummVM 0.11.1 PS2 HDD Bug - FIXED - Step-by-Step!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kormann

ScummVM 0.11.1 PS2 HDD Bug - FIXED - Step-by-Step!

Post by Kormann »

Hello, 1st I wanna thank to the mantainer (Max Lingua) to make ps2 version back to life and ScummVM team for this great project.

*Now my report:
My setup is a fat PS2 V7 w/ DMS3 and a 500GB Seagate HDD.
Before I start ScummVM I ran uLaunchELF and then I locate the ELF executable from my hdd0:+KORMANN partition and then I load it up.

First I have tried to locate my KYRA1 (The Legend of Kyrandia) subfolder from +KORMANN/games/ScummVM/KYRA1 but the ScummVM doesn't even recognize my HDD from the "Add Game..." option.

Second I read the readme again and I found that I needed to have a partition with the label "+ScummVM" so I have renamed my partition label and then restarted ScummVM again. This time my HDD isn't recognized again. So I thought "sh!t it's not working", then I had tried with my usb pendrive (thanks god I got one from xmas)

Third I have tried from usb pendrive and I could add KYRA1 and then I ran it, I was surprised cause I haven't seen the logo screen about 14 years ago ;) But for my surprise it hanged/freezed just before the intro when Malcom the Joker transforms Brendon's Master in to a Stone Statue.

Is just me that I'm having this problem? reagarding the HDD recognition and KYRA1 bug?

I couldn't try any other game because I don't have them (yet)

Regards,
Kormann
Last edited by Kormann on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: ScummVM 0.11.1 PS2 Bug Report / Sugestions

Post by sev »

Kormann wrote:I suggest everyone who has bugs and suggestions to the ps2 version to post here in this topic.
This is a quite bad suggestion. I highly recommend to post all these bugreports to our bugtracker, separately, one bug per tracker item. The problem is that forums are not suitable for bugreports and especially bugtracking which is required for successful bugfixing.

Eugene
Kormann

Problems solved temporaly

Post by Kormann »

Oh sorry.. I didnt know how it works here in these forums.
But suggestions are welcome right? :D

But anyway, I got a workaround/fix "solution" to play ScummVM games from HDD. So stay tuned!

I 'll post later here and then I may post at the bugtracking too ok? Where's the bugtracker can you post the link?

Thank you,
Kormann
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

Really Thanks Max Lingua... You are great!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

For bugs: here.

For suggestions aka Feature Requests: here.

As you understand, inactive forum threads go down in the list, and are eas to forget, whereas bugtracker items stay in the list until they are resolved. Also speaking of suggestions, not just PS2 porter, but other porters and ScummVM core developers coud take part in implementing them. That's why there is another reason to keep them in our tracker, not on the forums.

Eugene
Kormann

How to fix "playing games from HDD"

Post by Kormann »

First you need to have uLaunchELF and you need to know how to run it (I won't xplain it here grab this utility at psx-scene.com) and then read the steps below:

I) Adding ScummVM games from your HDD

1)Certify that your uLaunchELF (4.12) is configured to "RESET IOP: OFF".
a) Go to Configure uLaunchELF then STARTUP SETTINGS.
b) In the STARTUP SETTINGS screen set RESET IOP to OFF.
ps: If you have changed from ON to OFF please choose OK to accept the changes and to go back to main screen (this way
the settings will be saved) and reset your PS2 and (at uLaunchELF) then go to step 2.

2) Go to FILEBROWSER and load up the +ScummVM partition and look for the ScummVM executable file "SCUMMVM.ELF" and run it.

3) In the ScummVM screen go to ADD GAME and you shall see:
DVD DRIVE
HARDDISK
USB MASS STORAGE

4) Select HARDDISK and add the folder of the game you want to add. After the game has been added don't try to load it yet, because it won't run, you will get a black screen.

II) Running games from your HDD

1) After the you have completed all the tasks above you should reset your PS2.

2) Now go to uLaunchELF again at the CONFIGURE ULAUNCHELF > STARTUP SETTINGS and set RESET IOP to ON. Choose OK to accept the changes and go back to main screen (this way the settings will be saved) and reset your PS2 and (at uLaunchELF) then go to step 3.

3) Now look for your +ScummVM partition with the FILEBROWSER and load SCUMMVM.ELF.

4) At ScummVM screen select the game you want to play and voiolá.

III) Questions/Answers

1) What is "RESET IOP: ON" ?
It resets all modules loaded previously by uLaunchELF before you load any program.

2) What is "RESET IOP: OFF" ?
Keep the modules already loaded to the memory so other programs can use it.

OBS: If you try to add games to your hdd with "RESET IOP: ON" at ADD GAME screen you won't see the HARDDISK drive, you only will see the DVDDRIVE and USB MASS STORAGE.

I hope it helps anyone that want to play ScummVM games with PS2HDD

Regards,
Kormann
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

what size is your hdd?
efen3001

Post by efen3001 »

I can only load games from HDD if I boot scummvm from dvd, why does this happen? And by the way, some games just run perfect from IDE HDD, such as The Dig and Monkey Island 3 (no lag and jerky gameplay).