Where am i going wrong? (Ps2 user)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bison

Where am i going wrong? (Ps2 user)

Post by Bison »

Hi there

Apologies for any obvious questions but i'm new to this and could do with some help.

I have ScummVM on my ps2 and am trying to get BS1 and BS2 running but with no success. I have tried by running SCumm from USB and from hdd, no joy with either. the program loads and i put in the disc, where i become confused is what i need on the disc in order for the game to run, do i need an ini on there, do i need the scummVM elf? I am really quite confused, both game work on Windows thru scumm but not on my ps2......

please help!!
Last edited by Bison on Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Moving to the PS2 forum
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

do you have a memory card in?
Bison

Post by Bison »

yes i do.

FYI this is the srycture of the disc that has the games on it:

sword1 folder with BS1 game data
scummvm.elf
scummvm.ini

as i have read in other guides it is essential to have the ini and scummvm on the root of the disc but this differs, maybe this is where i'm going wrong....
Bison

Post by Bison »

I can't believe 74 people have looked at this and all i've got is one response.... :(

Is there anyone out there :roll:
clem

Post by clem »

Bison wrote:I can't believe 74 people have looked at this and all i've got is one response.... :(

Is there anyone out there :roll:
I re-load this post whenever a reply comes in, however I've never operated a PS2 :) (might account for 3 or 4 of those reads)
MrPunchy

Post by MrPunchy »

burn the disc without the scummvm.ini file.
Bison

Post by Bison »

MrPunchy wrote:burn the disc without the scummvm.ini file.
But keep the scummvm elf on the disc? or should i just have the game data?
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Bison wrote:
just the elf file and game data
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Does ScummVM boot correctly and shows the GUI? If so, you basically proceed like you would on PC. Click "Add Game", navigate to the corresponding directory; start the game.
By default, the .ini gets created automatically and is stored on the memory card. Storing it on the CD is just an additional feature and is not necessary.
Bison

Post by Bison »

PsYcO wrote:
Bison wrote:
Ok then, just to confirm as i am running out of discs!!

I need the scummVM elf on its own, then the game directory ie: Sword1. This is it??

I tried running a game off USB but Scumm could not detect it, do i need the elf on my USB key too?

Thank you :)
PsYcO
Got 2 warnings

Post by PsYcO »

Bison wrote:
PsYcO wrote:
Bison wrote: But keep the scummvm elf on the disc? or should i just have the game data?
Ok then, just to confirm as i am running out of discs!!

I need the scummVM elf on its own, then the game directory ie: Sword1. This is it??

I tried running a game off USB but Scumm could not detect it, do i need the elf on my USB key too?

no, just the cd with the elf on with a folder with bs1 in...
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

Bison wrote: Ok then, just to confirm as i am running out of discs!!

Not exactly. If you want to make a cd/dvd that can boot on a PS2, you also need a corresponding SYSTEM.CNF file.
Why don't you just use cd-tool, as provided in the scummvm release archives and described in the ps2 readme file?

You don't need that CNF file if you try to run scummvm off a usb device or hdd, as those obviously don't boot directly anyways.
Bison

Post by Bison »

I would like to boot scumm off hdd or USB, i tried this last night with a dvd that had Broken sword 1 and 2 and the scumm elf on it, the disc did not boot, all i got was a black screen then back to the ps2 browser.

I am getting nowhere with this, i would be so grateful if someone could give me an idiots guide to get this working....

I tried using the make cd tool but it did not work as i wanted it on a dvd, unfortunately BS is too large (1gb) to fit on a single cd....

Ideally i would like to be able to use this guide but do i need a modchip:

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1044

But some of the files needed are not there, can anyone point me in the right direction please?

You don't need that CNF file if you try to run scummvm off a usb device or hdd, as those obviously don't boot directly anyways.
I tried loading a game off the dvd after i booted scumm from hdd AND USB, nether worked, just booted back to the ps2 browser....

Sorry to be so idiotic but i have no ps2 nearby when i am on the internet so my resources are limited.

:?

PS: is there a windows version of scummVM similar to the ps2 version, maybe i could use this to test on, it would also save me loads of discs...

Thanks
lavosspawn
ScummVM Developer

Post by lavosspawn »

In order to use CDs or DVDs you definately _DO_ need a modchip.
Not only for booting ScummVM but also for loading game data.
If you don't have a modchip and boot scummvm off usb or hdd, it still _WON'T_ be able to read game data from any disc, as the ps2 hardware will still detect them as non-sony discs and will deny any access.
Your only chance then is storing the game data on usb or hdd as well.