PS2 scummvm-1.7.0 3 Skulls of the Toltecs (CD DOS)

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

morpheous
Banned

PS2 scummvm-1.7.0 3 Skulls of the Toltecs (CD DOS)

Post by morpheous »

When i simply choose the game within the PS2 ScummVM main screen via the SCUMMVM.ELF, it always freezes and hangs with this ELF but when i choose this game with the SCUMMVM-S.ELF, it loads fine.

The problem happens when the game starts after the title screen. The game makes a studdering/skipping sound and freezes. anyone know of this issue and a possible fix or setting i need to configure within the settings tab on my PS2?

I also noticed my settings don't save. When i configure my plugin/theme paths, they will go back to default after i reboot my PlayStation 2.
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

With 1.7.0 you have to manually configure your INI (configuration file) on a PC and transfer it to your PS2.
Please refer to my posts ....... HERE ....... for explanations and sample INI contents you may require.

If youre having trouble with 1.7.0, and the game in question does not require that version specifically, I still recommend ....... SCUMM VM 1.4.1 (Original) ....... for normal play.
It will even auto-create the INI for you in that version. ;) (saves its own settings without PC interaction).

The two different ELFs... Use the one that works, thats the correct one for your setup. :D
The other one simply does not have support for Network Adaptor and HDD (or atleast that is what the README file says lol).
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

ahhhh, thanks for the information my friend. ^_^

I also noticed that my USB keyboard doesn't respond, when connected. Only a mouse works. is that a settings i need to toggle or 1.7.0 doesn't support keyboard?

If i install 1.4.1, will it be compatible with 1.9.0 ScummVM games? other than the .ini saving my settings by itself, wouldn't having the latest version, 1.7.0 have better and more compatibility with games?

if 1.4.0 has bad performance and low compatibility with games, i would choose to just configure my settings once on my PC and transfer. Just as long as the settings SAVE!

I already configured my MAIN settings like this:

[scummvm]
versioninfo=1.7.0

[PlayStation2]
hdd_part=ScummVM
tv_mode=ntsc
gfx_mode=2

I don't see any lines for "plug-ins" or "themes" or anything else. Do i need to create them?

Do you know if 1.4.1 has keyboard support, unlike 1.7.0?

I'll do as you suggested and use the ELF that works. ^_^
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

Youre welcome...

The keyboard setup has been a problem for alot of people... Nobody ever came up with a solution... Sometimes it works, sometimes it just doesnt.

1.4.1 will play about five less games than 1.7.0.
There is no 1.9.0 for PS2... but we all keep hoping.
Big difference between the "latest version" and the "best version". :wink:

Yes, the settings will save with 1.4.1...
I havent noted any compatibility issues, which would stop me from finishing any game I own, with that version.
What "bad performance and low compatibility"?

My 1.7.0 ScummVM.ini looks like this...

[scummvm]
mute=false
speech_volume=200
native_mt32=false
midi_gain=100
gui_theme=scummmodern
savepath=pfs0:SAVES/
mt32_device=null
extrapath=pfs0:data/
subtitles=true
multi_midi=false
browser_lastpath=
fullscreen=false
gui_renderer=antialias
pluginspath=pfs0:plugins/
gm_device=null
themepath=pfs0:themes/
sfx_volume=200
talkspeed=200
music_volume=200
speech_mute=false
lastselectedgame=
music_driver=auto
disable_dithering=false
opl_driver=auto
aspect_ratio=false
versioninfo=1.7.0
autosave_period=300
enable_gs=false

[PlayStation2]
hdd_part=ScummVM
gfx_mode=2
tv_mode=ntsc

[plugin_files]

[zak-fm]
description=Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders
mute=false
speech_volume=200
talkspeed=200
path=pfs0:Scumm Virtual Machine Games/Zak McKracken + The Alien Mindbenders/
subtitles=true
gameid=zak
language=en
sfx_volume=200
music_volume=200
platform=fmtowns
music_driver=auto
opl_driver=auto
speech_mute=true
guioptions=sndNoSpeech sndNoMIDI midiTowns noAspect lang_English
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

Thank for replying.

When i posted, "1.9.0", i was referring to the ScummVM game versions, not the actual ScuumVM version number.

I since deleted all the games and scumm from my PS2 hdd. There were too many games that didn't work.

In my opinion, its a waste of space to keep a emulator that has such low compatibility.

I installed more PS2 games in its place.
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

:shock:
What Is ScummVM?

ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

ScummVM supports many adventure games, including LucasArts SCUMM games (such as Monkey Island 1-3, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, ...), many of Sierra's AGI and SCI games (such as King's Quest 1-6, Space Quest 1-5, ...), Discworld 1 and 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1 and 2, Beneath A Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress, Broken Sword 1 and 2, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Gobliiins 1-3, The Legend of Kyrandia 1-3, many of Humongous Entertainment's children's SCUMM games (including Freddi Fish and Putt Putt games) and many more.

You can find a full list with details on which games are supported and how well on the compatibility page. ScummVM is continually improving, so check back often.
;)
Sorry to hear that you jumped straight to the vandalism of your own efforts, before taking a time-out...
You would have gotten them to work eventually...
In this world of altering the contents within files and code, with precision, to get a desired result, it requires great patience...
Sometimes years are even required, between breaks, before you finally make a break-through, however it is a great skill to acquire nonetheless...
Im a trial-and-error professional myself, whom will gladly admit to 300+ repetitive failures (in-a-row usually lol), before finally accomplishing something which I just believed would eventually succeed...
Dont give up on your dreams.
8)
In my opinion, any homebrewed-PS2, is quite simply "not-complete", if it does not contain ScummVM...
Exceptions would be, Media-Center PS2, PS2-Games-Only PS2, and other similar things (Et cetera).
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

Anything new on the PS2 ScummVM scene?

Any new updates of games that didn't work before but have been added to the working folder?
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

morpheous wrote:Anything new on the PS2 ScummVM scene?

Any new updates of games that didn't work before but have been added to the working folder?
My best advice, is to ask @sunmax.

As Max is the person in the know on such subjects.
Send him a message if you are feeling a bit impatient.
Please let us know if you get any good news. ;) :)

Actually, I must admit I still check this forum near daily, in the hopes of something new appearing eventually.
It has been a while, and I would love to hear of some good news on this topic.

Now that the HUGE, and long awaited, version 2.0, has been released, I dont expect it will be much longer.

@Max L.
Keep up the great work !

We have faith in you. :D
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

Unique User Name wrote:
morpheous wrote:Anything new on the PS2 ScummVM scene?

My best advice, is to ask @sunmax.

As Max is the person in the know on such subjects.
Send him a message if you are feeling a bit impatient.
Please let us know if you get any good news. ;) :)

Actually, I must admit I still check this forum near daily, in the hopes of something new appearing eventually.
It has been a while, and I would love to hear of some good news on this topic.

Now that the HUGE, and long awaited, version 2.0, has been released, I dont expect it will be much longer.

@Max L.
Keep up the great work !

We have faith in you. :D
New 2.0 version of what???

I just re-downloaded The Complete ScummVM 1 6 0 Collection as i am going to give it another try on my PS2 HDD. ^_^

isn't there a 1.90 collection available? or 1.80 ?
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

morpheous wrote:New 2.0 version of what???

I just re-downloaded The Complete ScummVM 1 6 0 Collection as i am going to give it another try on my PS2 HDD. ^_^

???
http://www.scummvm.org/
8)

Latest Developments
Dec 17, 2017:
To: You. From: Release team.
Subject: ScummVM 2.0.
Just in time for the holidays, the final release of ScummVM 2.0 is here!

Nov 22, 2017:
ScummVM 2.0 Release Testing Has Begun
Posted by snover

The day has finally arrived to wrap up the current ScummVM release cycle!
ScummVM 2.0 is one of our biggest new releases to date and adds support for 23 games
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

Kust read the release notes and i have to say its awesome but......

I seriously doubt there will be a 2.0 version created for the PS2 as there isn't any interest in the PS2 anymore.
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

morpheous wrote:Kust read the release notes and i have to say its awesome but......

I seriously doubt there will be a 2.0 version created for the PS2 as there isn't any interest in the PS2 anymore.
Your opinion?

The PS2 sold more units than any other video gaming unit, ever.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... e_consoles

I assure you it is still very much alive. :)

Most recent development (just one example from this week alone):
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/ps2usb- ... s2-157652/
morpheous
Banned

Post by morpheous »

Unique User Name wrote:
morpheous wrote:Kust read the release notes and i have to say its awesome but......

Your opinion?

The PS2 sold more units than any other video gaming unit, ever.

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_b ... e_consoles

I assure you it is still very much alive. :)

Most recent development (just one example from this week alone):
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f98/ps2usb- ... s2-157652/
Oh please, don't take it personal. I love the PS2 console and i am fully aware that it's the most selling console in video gaming history.

Its just that look at all the 2.0 versions that were released for the other platforms but our beloved PS2 is left out. :(
UniqueUserName

Post by UniqueUserName »

LMFAO!!!
morpheous wrote:Oh please, don't take it personal.
Not at all. lol
Im only here to help.
:lol:
Just noting the difference for you, between facts (which I am all about), and opinions (which usually, I dont give unless asked or given).
For instance, you were telling someone (Me = whom is retired and lives in the PS2 world), that:
morpheous wrote:there isn't any interest in the PS2 anymore.
This simply is not true.
I answer questions for PS2-enthusiasts, all day/night long across several sites (three of which you are a member, so I know you already know this), and Im in a unique (pun-intended lol) position to know.
In your third post in this thread, you said:
morpheous wrote:In my opinion, its a waste of space to keep a emulator that has such low compatibility.
And in return I gave you MY opinion, in kind. 8)
However, this time you did not indicate, which is why I asked.
So, unsure if that was really your opinion (couldnt tell if joking or not), I only gave you the facts, instead of my opinion.
morpheous wrote:I love the PS2 console
Agreed!
morpheous wrote:i am fully aware that it's the most selling console in video gaming history.
Indeed.
morpheous wrote:Its just that look at all the 2.0 versions that were released for the other platforms but our beloved PS2 is left out. :(
The reason we have no PS2 v2.0 has nothing to do with demand, nor interest in PS2.
As it is a time-permitting thing, for which the porter (sunmax) does not get paid for, and simply contributes as real-life time-permits.
The rest of us understand this very well, as that is what we do, with our contributions. :D
Patience is key here, as much time passed between 1.4.1, and the 1.70, PS2 ports of ScummVM, yet we did eventually receive the new version, and Im sure we will again with the newest version.
There used to be two PS2-Devs here, but lavosspawn retired a while back, and will be missed greatly here, by MANY.

Just so you know, I had already sent Max a PM (directing him to your thread "at his convenience"), before you replied with what Im quoting here.
I offered to help with the process, in any manner, or to find help if needed, using any connections I have available, or my skillset.
Whichever applied to his needs, if any.

WE (You and I) are good my friend, so please dont read into my written text too much (tone and inflection are not always clear when not spoken aloud), nor as anything other than helpful (especially if you cant tell when Im joking). 8)
Do me a favor and get to know my personality better.

Actually, since you think the PS2 scene is dead, here a few links just off the top of my head, that should keep anyone reading this happy for quite some time to come.
Now, be patient with Max, and enjoy!!!

LINKS (This should keep you entertained for a month or two.):

....... PS2 NOOBS 1ST STOP = (Downloads, Rares, Emulators, Tuts, Apps, Configs, Links, OPL-Ports, & More) .......

....... Resources and Articles and Tabby-Goodies - Oh My! (Six Pages Worth of Clicky-Goodness) .......

....... First person on Earth to play FinalFantasy7 from the PS2s Internal HDD + USB .......

....... OPL Theme uCit (aka split-screen) = half-screen coverart in OPL! .......

....... High-Resolution CoverArt for over 1,000 PS2 Games .......

....... OpenBOR - I want it Allllll! .......

....... Google Images .......

....... Google .......
Feel free to click anything in the 25+ pages lol.

-----Enjoy!
tsoliman
ScummVM Developer

Post by tsoliman »

morpheous wrote: When i posted, "1.9.0", i was referring to the ScummVM game versions, not the actual ScuumVM version number.
morpheous wrote: I just re-downloaded The Complete ScummVM 1 6 0 Collection as i am going to give it another try on my PS2 HDD. ^_^

Please read forum rule #0

You already got a warning about this on IRC which you ignored.