Request: Open DVD Drive Support?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PlayStation 2 port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

47iscool

Request: Open DVD Drive Support?

Post by 47iscool »

When you see the title you probably thought "what the heck" so I'll explain.

After tinkering a bit and opening up my PS2 so I could do hot swaps, I accidentally broke the sensor switch, basically my PS2 believes that the lid is always open, not only that but selecting DISC CONTROL:ON in uLE locks it up.

Hopefully someone would consider this, hopefully it wouldn't be that hard of a task. Basically what I'm saying is, is that scummvm no longer works from USB, and when I make an ISO image of scummvm (tested and working on pcsx2) and tried it in OPL and ESDL it gets stuck on the hourglass-like loading screen.
Last edited by 47iscool on Thu May 15, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I'm not the PS2 porter, but I doubt we would want to try to fix this kind of hardware issue in software.

A quick Google shows a number of tutorials on fixing or bypassing the PS2 lid switches (Sony actually put 2 on the unit). If you are capable enough to open your PS2 and tinker with the internals, you should be perfectly capable of repairing this.
47iscool

Post by 47iscool »

digitall wrote:I'm not the PS2 porter, but I doubt we would want to try to fix this kind of hardware issue in software.

A quick Google shows a number of tutorials on fixing or bypassing the PS2 lid switches (Sony actually put 2 on the unit). If you are capable enough to open your PS2 and tinker with the internals, you should be perfectly capable of repairing this.
Well I would, but I can't now. The power button has been taped as it is also loose and if I opened it back up I may not be able to fix the LED switch again.

Thanks for replying and trying to help though.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Not sure where you are in the world... but EBay lists replacement PS2 power switch / eject PCBs with the plastic buttons and ribbon cables for less than 5 USD.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

You seem to have borked your console. Bear in mind that you can buy a PS2 console for around 30 eur nowadays, which is probably your best option:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Game-Cons ... 0&_nkw=ps2
47iscool

Post by 47iscool »

digitall wrote:Not sure where you are in the world... but EBay lists replacement PS2 power switch / eject PCBs with the plastic buttons and ribbon cables for less than 5 USD.
The USA