SoundFonts in Windows 7 x64?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

Tobis87 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:That's right the Win64 doesn't include FluidSynth, thus the sound font setting should be of no real use there.
Why is it not included?

I was able to cross-compile FluidSynth 1.0.8 for Win x64, but only as a shared dll.
And so far ScummVM seems to work well with it.
How did you achieve that? I would like to get this working, and it sounds like yours is the most likely fix at the current time. I would very much appreciate directions- I'm fairly tech-savvy, but have limited experience with recompiling. I've done some java stuff and a bit of beginner-level stuff in Linux, but that's about it.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Firefairy wrote:
Tobis87 wrote:
LordHoto wrote:That's right the Win64 doesn't include FluidSynth, thus the sound font setting should be of no real use there.
Why is it not included?

I was able to cross-compile FluidSynth 1.0.8 for Win x64, but only as a shared dll.
And so far ScummVM seems to work well with it.
How did you achieve that? I would like to get this working, and it sounds like yours is the most likely fix at the current time. I would very much appreciate directions- I'm fairly tech-savvy, but have limited experience with recompiling. I've done some java stuff and a bit of beginner-level stuff in Linux, but that's about it.
Just download the normal daily build version from the download page, FluidSynth is compiled into those. The x64 version of ScummVM isn't really needed unless you are having specific problems related to the x86 (standard) version.
Tobis87

Post by Tobis87 »

Firefairy wrote:How did you achieve that? I would like to get this working, and it sounds like yours is the most likely fix at the current time. I would very much appreciate directions- I'm fairly tech-savvy, but have limited experience with recompiling. I've done some java stuff and a bit of beginner-level stuff in Linux, but that's about it.
You need a cross compiler for Linux:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6844

But I did it for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?q6z7ws63l9m3oja

ScummVM 1.2.0 for Win x64 with
*Fluidsynth
*Advmame4x
*Lands of Lord Engine
*Monkey Island 1/2 Talkie Support

The source of the patches are included.

However, I only could test it in VirtualBox. :oops:
Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

Tobis87 wrote: But I did it for you:
http://www.mediafire.com/?q6z7ws63l9m3oja

ScummVM 1.2.0 for Win x64 with
*Fluidsynth
*Advmame4x
*Lands of Lord Engine
*Monkey Island 1/2 Talkie Support

The source of the patches are included.

However, I only could test it in VirtualBox. :oops:
Thanks! It works beautifully! I'll let you know if it ever develops glitches my straight install doesn't. I'm a pretty good tester. :-)

I have yummy music on my desktop now! :happy dance:
Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

I am very grateful to Tobis87 for recompiling me a version of SCUMMVM that works with SoundFonts, but for those who really want the system-wide solution, I finally found a x64-compatible virtual patch cable.

http://www.nerds.de/en/download.html

The Free version (not the trial) is listed at the bottom of the page. It only allows one connection, but that's really all we need for games. I then used that and the "Putzlowischts Vista MIDI-Mapper" to route MIDI to Timidity by default. Success! I now have default windows MIDI playback with SoundFonts!

http://akkordwechsel.de/15-windows-vist ... di-mapper/

So, the software is there for system-wide SoundFonts in Windows 7 x64, it just took some time to find. Hopefully this thread will help the next person to have this issue.
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Bit OT, but if you have a X-Fi card you should be able to load soundfonts...
Tobis87

Post by Tobis87 »

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:Bit OT, but if you have a X-Fi card you should be able to load soundfonts...
It also works with an Audigy 2.

If you're running Linux, you will need to install awesfx.
And create an upstart script in /etc/init/autostart.conf, place the soundfont into /usr/share/sounds/sf2.

Code: Select all

# autostart - part of the autostart scripts
#
# This file includes the commands to be run at system boot
# Contents need to be compliant to the system's default shell (/bin/sh).

description	"autostart scripts"

start on (net-device-up
          and local-filesystems)

script
    /usr/bin/asfxload -V 100 /usr/share/sounds/sf2/CT8MGM.sf2
end script
Mau1wurf1977

Post by Mau1wurf1977 »

Cool!

Did some more digging and it appears that all cards from the Live! series onwards have soundfont support!