Problems with some old Lucas Arts games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ILikeThoseOldGames

Problems with some old Lucas Arts games

Post by ILikeThoseOldGames »

Hello,
I just noticed that there are severe problems with the upcoming ScummVM versions (SVN).

Whenever I start
- Monkey Island 1
- Monkey Island 2
- Indiana Jones (Fate of Atlantis)
the ScummVM application just flashes a black window with some green text on it and then ScummVM terminates instantly.

I tried this several times and could finally read the text. It says:
Initialising MT-32 Emulator
Init Error - Missing or invalid MT32_CONTROL.ROM
This happens only with the new SVN versions (I used 1.2.0svn552260 on a Windows XP 32bit machine).

I own an original copy of those games, bought them years ago in a collectors edition called "Adventure Pack" and never ever had those problems with previous versions. Neither I can find those files on the CDs.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

In ScummVM click "Options...", select the "Audio" tab and for "Preferred Device" select "AdLib Emulator".

This happens to me too if the wrong audio device is selected.

If you changed it for a reason for a specific game, then you can select that game and choose "Edit Game..." to make alterations specific to one game.

Hope this helps! :)
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I can confirm that this *does* happen in the Dos/Floppy versions of all these games, but not the CD versions. This is with identical audio settings for both versions.

Changing the default audio setting to adlib does fix it, but it seems kind of silly that the default fallback setting is something that could potentially crash the game.
ILikeThoseOldGames

Post by ILikeThoseOldGames »

Graxer wrote:In ScummVM click "Options...", select the "Audio" tab and for "Preferred Device" select "Ad-Lib Emulator".
Ok, it works again :D.

But I don't know, why this this happens with the SVN version. I didn't changed those Options before. The "Preferred Device" was set to "<Standard>".
KuroShiro wrote: Changing the default audio setting to adlib does fix it, but it seems kind of silly that the default fallback setting is something that could potentially crash the game.
I hope they will fix this before the new version comes out.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ILikeThoseOldGames wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: Changing the default audio setting to adlib does fix it, but it seems kind of silly that the default fallback setting is something that could potentially crash the game.
I hope they will fix this before the new version comes out.
I thought it already was fixed on the 1.2.0 branch. I have "<default>" as the "Preferred Device", and I get AdLib by default. (On the trunk it still tries to use the MT-32 emulator by default though.)
Harakiri

Post by Harakiri »

happends again in SVN 1.3.0 with indy atlanis =/
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Harakiri wrote:happends again in SVN 1.3.0 with indy atlanis =/
I thought the problem was only fixed on the 1.2.0 branch, i.e. it never went away on the trunk. I have no idea what the long-term solution on the trunk will be; it's not really my area of expertise.