as big as you like icon

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

gord

as big as you like icon

Post by gord »

hi :) i was kinda fustrated the other day at the quality of the scummvm icon (at least for the linux version). its good and all but its small, so us with rather large resoultions have to make do with either a small or blury icon.

so i set about making my own svg icon which can be any size you like n still stay crisp and high quality.
link to svg

its not the best thing in the world and its not quite a like-for-like version of the original but maybe it will help for other peoples who need a larger icon :)

if anyone knows of a proper large icon id love to hear about it :)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

First thing, your icon is distorted. Another thing, those shadows are from 's' shape just shifted up-left, so there should be a similiar shape on the top part of the character. Another thing you could add is that 'slime feeling' over the letter, i.e. darker and brighter spots. Also you can add shadow with transparent gradients around the letter.

It would be really cool if you'd fix above problems, as we really need SVG version of our icon.

Eugene
gord

Post by gord »

im really not a graphics person ;) its a miriacle that i managed to pull that off.

how do you meen distorted though? are you sure its not just whatever your viewing it with?
thats how i see it.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That's exactly how I see it too. Now match it with our logo. It is too wide, those branches under top and bottom curve go too deep. It should be done in a way, so if you'll generate, say, 128 pixels high picture, it will cover following shape 1:1

Eugene
gord

Post by gord »

more like this?

its pritty hard to get it 1:1 and it'll never look exsacly the same because that raster image has gone through some nice bubbly filters to produce it, im just using vectors.

n i know it looks a little wobbly, i can bang that out later ;)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Oh, yeah. That's it. Now, please, add shadow in top-right part of 'S', add 2 radial oval transparency-black gradients underneath it, so there will be a shadow effect, and add some random smaller color variations to the body, so it will look slimey.

Eugene
gord

Post by gord »

thats the best i can come up with im afraid, iv not been able to work at it every day since the last time i posted but i gave it a few shots and im pritty convinced you can't get that gloopy look with svg, svg works with vectors not brush's, so you can't just paint it on.

also because of the way svg works regarding gradients its real hard to get a proper looking dropshadow around the S that looks right, so i just tried to emulate the shaddow around the proper image as best i can.

you can get the svg here, but it gets deleted after 30 days or something weird like that.

if you want to use it thats fine (n great :)), but as a word of warning, you would want to edit the copyright information thats contained within the svg (make sure the licence comply's and the like)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Looks nice so far. But please, take a look at top right part of the character. Some shadowing should be added there too. I.e. use darker and/or lighter green there too as you do with bottom part of it.

Eugene
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Hey this is great! A svg version is just what I need for the S60 V3 version. Just waiting for that final version (top right green shading I guess. :-) )
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I also like the work very much, and it will go as our official SVG icon once finished.

Eugene

PS. Also please, add some random ligh and dark spots on the character body, so it will look slimey. Just I forgot to metnion it last time.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I think gord already said he did as much as he can... Maybe we can take the SVG as a base, but it still has to go some way before it is up to a level with the existing icon (no offense meant, gord, I appreciate the work you are putting into this!). So, we could try to ask people for help...

In particular, let's again mail the original author of the icon, and/or let's ask for help in a news item :-).
gord

Post by gord »

hey, no offence taken. im a coder not an artist ;) i think the main problem is that you guys want a pixel perfect copy of the original icon, which you can't do with svg. for example putting dark and light spots on there isnt all that reasonable because you can't just paint them on, and even if you just drew wobbly shapes, it wouldn't look right because you can't have a gradient that takes the edge of the shape into account, so instead of getting a gentle fading onto the edge of the shape. you get a circle fading from the center that is cut off by the edge.

during half-time of the england match tonight i managed to add that little highlight in the top right though,
file is here

im not sure i could do much else really...

ps, 2-1! yay england!
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Actually, we don't need a pixel perfect copy, but a major aspect of the ScummVm icon is it's "slime" factor :-).

And I do think that one can achieve that using SVG, by using gradients and filters amongst other things, it just might be a lot more work. I have seen people do amazing things using Illustrator before that even had gradients, including faked gradients etc.

That's the main reason I said one needs an artist with the experience and knowledge of achieving such effects with vector graphics, using any suitable vector graphics tool (be it Inkscape, Illustrator, Freehand or whatever else).
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

I played a bit with your icon, added couple of spots, gradients here anf there, altered shape a bit, and put it to web/images/save/scummvm_logo.svn

Eugene
Gobliiins

Post by Gobliiins »

can you give a directlink please? can't find that logo...