FreeSCI & Early SCI vector graphics

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

PhiloHippus

FreeSCI & Early SCI vector graphics

Post by PhiloHippus »

FreeSCI had a great feature which allowed for old SCI games with vector graphics backgrounds, like space quest 3, to scale up with no pixelization at all. The feature seems to be gone, do you plan on getting it into the GUI controls? Is it accessible through command-line?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It was buggy to begin with in FreeSCI. Sometimes lines wouldn't connect properly and fill colours would leak out corrupting the image rendering it unplayable.
PhiloHippus

Post by PhiloHippus »

Does that mean it's been officially discarded? I only played Space Quest 3 using this feature but it was quite the experience to witness an untouched 1989 game running in hi-res. Even if buggy it would be nice to still have it as an option just to explore.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The whole graphics code has been rewritten, and this feature hasn't been reimplemented as we have far better scalers in ScummVM, imho. Plus, it was buggy as MusicallyInspired said. Thus, I really don't see a point in reimplementing it, at least not at this point. The main goal at the moment is to get full SCI0-SCI1.1 support, so this will be considered at a later point (if at all), since it's just icing on the cake, and again don't see the point, as today's scalers are far more advanced anyway...
PhiloHippus

Post by PhiloHippus »

md5 wrote:don't see the point, today's scalers are far more advanced anyway
I understand this is now as low priority as it gets, but still there is a point, the scalers can't possibly do a better job out of a 320*200 sample than a vector recalculation... can they?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

It's a matter of taste I guess, but a hi-rez background with low-rez pixely forground action would look terrible to me.
It may have been a good idea when the max resolution was 480p or so, but the inconstancy would be VERY noticeable on 1080p.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

There's also the fact that sprite objects that are meant to blend into the background would be glaringly obvious. It is a neat idea, but in practice it's not that feasible.
PhiloHippus

Post by PhiloHippus »

MusicallyInspired wrote:There's also the fact that sprite objects that are meant to blend into the background would be glaringly obvious. It is a neat idea, but in practice it's not that feasible.
That's a good point, hadn't thought of that.