Fancy a good Coktel with Doralice?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Fancy a good Coktel with Doralice?

Post by Strangerke »

You're Doralice, the cutest airline captain of the Paris-Miami flight. During your last trip, a dying passenger asked you to deliver top secret vials. Will you succeed in your mission, avoiding deadly traps and solving every mystery?

Currently, the PC versions of Fascination are missing an AdLib player, but everything else is there.
Please note that the CD version requires some manipulations and the ScummVM tools to extract the required files.

Get the latest daily build of ScummVM and your version of the game and give Fascination a try!
Please post any bugs and unrecognized versions you can find to our bug tracker, following the bug submission guidelines.

And if you find interesting sights, be sure to submit your screenshots.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Oh wow I got to playing this yesterday again. It hasn't aged well has it? It's so 90s.
No problems in Ubuntu with the CD tool using the GUI.
What's next? Emmanuelle? :)
I'll load some save games later and take some screenshots.

English language tested.
Last edited by Red_Breast on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Thanks for this test report!
Just in case it makes a difference on day, could you please tell me which language you tested?

Thanks in advance,
Strangerke

PS: Emmanuelle is not using the gob engine... so no :P
hkzlab
ScummVM Developer

Post by hkzlab »

I played the game from start to finish on Dingux port, no problems. Fun game too!

I tested CD (censored, meh :/) version, italian language.
julianmarble

Post by julianmarble »

I played it too. Great and fun!
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Thanks julianmarble.

Did you complete it? If so, or if you encountered a blocking issue, could you specify which version you tested, and some details concerning the version of ScummVM you used?

Thanks in advance for this additional feedback!

Regards,
Strangerke
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

Fascination is not playable on PSP for some odd reason.
I have the right files I believe, won't mention what they are but I'll put a number at least (I have the Cd version).

.stk = 4 files
.gdr = 2 Files
.lic = 1 File
Track1 = Flac

The game does run but I'm stuck on the screen that says F1 Demo / F2 Game. No matter what button I press on my PSP, one of two things happen:

1) Nothing, still on same screen
2) Exits Game to PSP main screen

Is there a way to play this game or does someone have to implement an F2 key in the "keyboard" for PSP?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

da1writer wrote:Fascination is not playable on PSP for some odd reason.
I have the right files I believe, won't mention what they are but I'll put a number at least (I have the Cd version).

.stk = 4 files
.gdr = 2 Files
.lic = 1 File
Track1 = Flac

The game does run but I'm stuck on the screen that says F1 Demo / F2 Game. No matter what button I press on my PSP, one of two things happen:

1) Nothing, still on same screen
2) Exits Game to PSP main screen

Is there a way to play this game or does someone have to implement an F2 key in the "keyboard" for PSP?
Well I tried the game the other day in Nintendo DS ScummVM which has a virtual keyboard. I can only suggest trying to find the virtual keyboard for the PSP version but as I'm not familiar with it I can't say for sure if such a keyboard is included with your build.
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

Red_Breast wrote: Well I tried the game the other day in Nintendo DS ScummVM which has a virtual keyboard. I can only suggest trying to find the virtual keyboard for the PSP version but as I'm not familiar with it I can't say for sure if such a keyboard is included with your build.
Well the psp ScummVM uses a plus sign type of messaging for our keyboard commands (5 squares in the form of a plus with multiple characters) but there is no F1, F2, etc. commands whatsoever. To alleviate this issue I'm having (and I'm sure others), there just needs to be a update of our PSP's "Keyboard" on ScummVM from the devs...
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

da1writer wrote:
Red_Breast wrote: Well I tried the game the other day in Nintendo DS ScummVM which has a virtual keyboard. I can only suggest trying to find the virtual keyboard for the PSP version but as I'm not familiar with it I can't say for sure if such a keyboard is included with your build.
Well the psp ScummVM uses a plus sign type of messaging for our keyboard commands (5 squares in the form of a plus with multiple characters) but there is no F1, F2, etc. commands whatsoever. To alleviate this issue I'm having (and I'm sure others), there just needs to be a update of our PSP's "Keyboard" on ScummVM from the devs...
I don't know for the PSP who ports it - but it would be best to ask them somehow. Has this issue never arose before? I'm sure there are other games which need Function keys.
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

Red_Breast wrote: I don't know for the PSP who ports it - but it would be best to ask them somehow. Has this issue never arose before? I'm sure there are other games which need Function keys.
This is not the first game to have this problem on PSP:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=6262

Yep, Bargon Attack has the same issue and STILL IS NOT able to be played on ANY on the official builds for PSP due to there being no F1 or F2 command keys on the PSP "keyboard". So we can officially (for now until the porter/dev of the PSP version of ScummVM pops the simple fix I mentioned above) add two games on the list as being broken/unplayable on PSP.

1)Bargon Attack
2)Fascination

On the record this has been a problem for the PSP version since Bargon Attack was supported, in other words since September 2008 this has been a problem that has NOT been fixed or looked into. Of course you or any other port hasn't gotten this problem as the PSP version of ScummVM uses a FAST Texting like Keyboard structure with only letters :/...

P.S I believe Fascination is generally broken on the PSP version of ScummVM...

Added problem to bug report here, why it made a second tracker is beyond me:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=418820
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

The virtual keyboard on PSP does have function keys. You use the L and R triggers to cycle through the various modes.

Fascination (and probably Bargon too, but I don't own that game) works on the PSP if you're aware of the following 2 gotchas:

- There was a small error in the key definitions which causes F2 to map to F4 and vice versa. Same for F6 and F8. This is now fixed in trunk.

- The virtual keyboard is not (re)drawn on the screen where you input F1 or F2, so you have to input F2 blindly. Normally it would be "select, l-trigger, dpad-left+circle", but because of the previous issue you'll have to press "select, l-trigger, dpad-left+square" in all ScummVM releases so far.
da1writer

Post by da1writer »

joostp wrote:The virtual keyboard on PSP does have function keys. You use the L and R triggers to cycle through the various modes.

Fascination (and probably Bargon too, but I don't own that game) works on the PSP if you're aware of the following 2 gotchas:

- There was a small error in the key definitions which causes F2 to map to F4 and vice versa. Same for F6 and F8. This is now fixed in trunk.

- The virtual keyboard is not (re)drawn on the screen where you input F1 or F2, so you have to input F2 blindly. Normally it would be "select, l-trigger, dpad-left+circle", but because of the previous issue you'll have to press "select, l-trigger, dpad-left+square" in all ScummVM releases so far.
Wow, I never knew they had function keys, tried it just now and it works! I'm playing Fascination now! Question though..
Do you guys plan to address the 2 problems above that you mentioned? It doesn't draw the "keyboard" and I have to revert to your post to input correctly as I have to blind input the keys...
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Just noticed this thread.

Regarding the keyboard not being drawn, it sounds like the engine doesn't call the drawing code at that point. Not much we can do about that from the backend's perspective.