SCI full-screen scrolling

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Scarlatti

SCI full-screen scrolling

Post by Scarlatti »

The ScummVM version of SCI seems to choke a little bit when doing full-screen panning and scrolling while using any scaler. It's still smooth, but I wonder if there's a way to make it less processor-intensive. Also, I'm curious about why horizontal scrolling needs more processing power than its vertical counterpart.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Due to video memory organization, vertical scrolling is simply operation of copying 1 block of data, while scrolling horizontaly requires to move each line separately.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Seldon wrote:Due to video memory organization, vertical scrolling is simply operation of copying 1 block of data, while scrolling horizontaly requires to move each line separately.
In the case of SCI this isn't correct. We are copying rects, when scrolling vertically and horizontally. Sierra SCI is able to scroll only part of the screen.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

m_kiewitz wrote: In the case of SCI this isn't correct. We are copying rects, when scrolling vertically and horizontally. Sierra SCI is able to scroll only part of the screen.
Now to think about it, you are right, what I wrote reffers rather to games run in native environment (DOS+VGA), and not ScummVM. Secondly I wonder where Scarlatti observed behaviour of vertical scrolling being smoother than horizontal.
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

Seldon wrote:I wonder where Scarlatti observed behaviour of vertical scrolling being smoother than horizontal.
Space Quest 1 VGA remake (Kerona desert) and Space Quest 4 (Xenon sewers).
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

I guess some developer is doing something with the scrolling recently. It's a bit jerky in the latest builds.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Scarlatti wrote:I guess some developer is doing something with the scrolling recently. It's a bit jerky in the latest builds.
Changed it slightly with r52299 again.

we had some issues on some devices, where scrolling was way too slow and issues on other devices, where scrolling was way too fast. It's now syncing itself time-based - so on systems, where the CPU is doing plenty of other things and the scrolling would be slower, we will skip frames.
Scarlatti

Post by Scarlatti »

I saw that m_kiewitz changed the scrolling to another method. It's both smoother and faster now. :)