SCI Compression Tool

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

KuroShiro

SCI Compression Tool

Post by KuroShiro »

This is mostly just curiosity, but I recently noticed that there is an SCI compression tool in the tools package. I tried fiddling around with it a bit, but it seems that it fails to open any resource.* files.

I was just wondering if this tool is actually supposed to work at the moment, or if it is still in the early stages. Those CD games do start to take up some space after a while.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Re: SCI Compression Tool

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:This is mostly just curiosity, but I recently noticed that there is an SCI compression tool in the tools package. I tried fiddling around with it a bit, but it seems that it fails to open any resource.* files.

I was just wondering if this tool is actually supposed to work at the moment, or if it is still in the early stages. Those CD games do start to take up some space after a while.
it works (or it is supposed to do so), but only on resource.sfx and resource.aud files

I have compressed most of my talkie games using it, so almost all of them fit onto one 2GB sdcard (used in my wii).
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

m_kiewitz wrote: it works (or it is supposed to do so), but only on resource.sfx and resource.aud files

I have compressed most of my talkie games using it, so almost all of them fit onto one 2GB sdcard (used in my wii).
Huh, ok. That is kind of odd. Whenever I use the CLI to try to open a RESOURCE.AUD file, it ends up saying "Valid sci audio resource file", then sometimes some lipsync info, but then "Fatal error: Could not open file".

I guess I must be missing something, or it is just a quirk with Windows 7 or something.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:
m_kiewitz wrote: it works (or it is supposed to do so), but only on resource.sfx and resource.aud files

Huh, ok. That is kind of odd. Whenever I use the CLI to try to open a RESOURCE.AUD file, it ends up saying "Valid sci audio resource file", then sometimes some lipsync info, but then "Fatal error: Could not open file".

I guess I must be missing something, or it is just a quirk with Windows 7 or something.
"lipsync info" is fine.

The 2nd "could not open file" error could happen, if the tool is unable to create the compressed file. Please check your permissions on the directory.

If you use the cli version, use "-o compressed.aud" or something like that.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Ah, that worked. It had to do with not selecting a separate output file, it seems. It won't work in the tools GUI for the moment due to some quirks of the interface, but I assume that will be ironed out later.

The lipsync info also appears for Freddy Pharkas btw, and the tool actually crashes in that case (saying there's no SOL audio data after possible raw lipsync data).
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:Ah, that worked. It had to do with not selecting a separate output file, it seems. It won't work in the tools GUI for the moment due to some quirks of the interface, but I assume that will be ironed out later.
I never tested the GUI myself. Some other developer tried it and it seemed to have worked.
The lipsync info also appears for Freddy Pharkas btw, and the tool actually crashes in that case (saying there's no SOL audio data after possible raw lipsync data).
I compressed pharkas without problems. Maybe there are multiple versions of the talkie version out there. Did you get the error message when compressing resource.aud or resource.sfx?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I said the GUI doesn't work because it asks you to select an output file, when you need to be able to make a new one.

And it was the resource.aud file. The same thing actually happens when I try to compress the resource.sfx file for Gabriel Knight 1.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:I said the GUI doesn't work because it asks you to select an output file, when you need to be able to make a new one.
Maybe it's possible to enter a new filename instead.
And it was the resource.aud file. The same thing actually happens when I try to compress the resource.sfx file for Gabriel Knight 1.
The tool may work for gk1, but shouldn't be used currently on any sci32 game. Could you tell me how large your pharkas resource.aud is?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

m_kiewitz wrote: Could you tell me how large your pharkas resource.aud is?
Approximately 572mb.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

m_kiewitz wrote:The tool may work for gk1, but shouldn't be used currently on any sci32 game.
It should work for SCI2, but not SCI2.1 or SCI3.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:
Approximately 572mb.
I need the exact file size please.
Also I just tried again and compressing it worked just fine here. Maybe there was some change on the tools that broke something. Just looking into it.

EDIT: there was a change, but i just tried again and pharkas still compresses without problems.
Last edited by m_kiewitz on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

m_kiewitz wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:
Approximately 572mb.
Also I just tried again and compressing it worked just fine here. Maybe there was some change on the tools that broke something. Just looking into it.
Ok, the exact size is 599,841,365 bytes. The file's complete md5 checksum is e9ab2414846c58455892af84889197b9.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:
m_kiewitz wrote:
KuroShiro wrote: Approximately 572mb.
Ok, the exact size is 599,841,365 bytes. The file's complete md5 checksum is e9ab2414846c58455892af84889197b9.
Mine has the same size, but a different md5 e1b32ee952069b4612c259b1029ca07c.

Please tell me the offset that the tool errors out. Your resource.aud may also be broken.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

The exact error message is:
"Warning: possibly raw lipsync data found at offset 5806850
Fatal Error: no SOL audio after possible raw lipsync data at 5806850"
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

KuroShiro wrote:The exact error message is:
"Warning: possibly raw lipsync data found at offset 5806850
Fatal Error: no SOL audio after possible raw lipsync data at 5806850"
i just tried compressing gk1 and it also worked fine.

the offset is really strange. In my file that's in the middle of a sample. What pharkas version do you have (please look inside the version file)? Please look inside your resource.aud file at that offset. (if you are using windows, winhex is a good tool for that) - you should probably see lots of 0x80, 0x81, 0x82, 0x00, 0x01 and 0x02 characters. If that's the case, look further down. there should be a sample following that begins with characters "SOL". If you found one, please write down the offset, where you found it.

Mine is 1.000