Extracting Speech (Mac)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Schutzenegger

Extracting Speech (Mac)

Post by Schutzenegger »

Here's my situation:

I'm trying to get the speech files from many different SCUMM games (The Dig, Full Throttle, Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max: Hit the Road. I own them all.)
I want the speech, because I would like to make a sort of radio play, and I wanted to see if I could do it without having to record anything myself.

I'm on a Mac, so pointers to SCUMM revisited won't help me out much.

With Full Throttle, I've been able to get the .san files converted to .ogg, but they all seem to be cutscene related, so there's unwanted noise in the background. Also, it takes forever (which is why I haven't moved onto The Dig's .san files.

Is there a way to do this?

Here are my necessary specs:
OS X 10.6.4
SCUMM tools 1.1.1

If anyone can help me, that would be greatly appreciated, and I would do my best to provide updates on my project. I've done things like it before, creating answering machines with sound effects pulled from all sorts of sources, but this is requiring a bit more technical knowhow than I think I have.

Please quickly assume my complete noobosity when it comes to coding
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

you must be on an intel mac, so the simplest solution might be to grab a demo of crossover, which lets you run windows programs, and use scumm revisited or whichever other tools do the job.

i'm not sure what native tools exist for the mac. scummvm's own tools must contain the ability to extract the sounds, as they can be recompressed, but i don't know how much hacking it would need to keep them in seperate files.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Or, you know, use the free WINE that Crossover is based on. Not much difference outside of user-friendliness.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

very true :)
Schutzenegger

Post by Schutzenegger »

Here's what I have so far:

I have the monster.sou file from Full Throttle (what I gather has all the speech files in it). I try to recompress it, which it does, all into one file again. I've scoured the forums (and probably missed it) and have seen that that can be averted by doing a little changing of the way SCUMMVM tools handles the recompression. But I haven't seen how to really do that.

I have the digvoice.bun from The Dig. Pretty much the same issue as with the monster.sou.

Any help that I can get would be much appreciated.

Or some good step by step instructions. I guess I could go the crossover route, but I'd really like to keep things as native as i can
Schutzenegger

Post by Schutzenegger »

OK, I caved and got crossover. NOW, though, I'm using SCUMM revisited... do I need to do each one, one by one? Or is there a much faster way to do the whole thing?
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

not sure, i once had a dos utility that would extract all voices in a monster.sou, but that was a looong time ago and i haven't seen it online since.
Schutzenegger

Post by Schutzenegger »

I guess this is kind of a bump, but I'm still wondering if there is any sort of batch method for the speech files