Broken Sword PSX Videos

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ziltink

Broken Sword PSX Videos

Post by ziltink »

Is it possible to convert the PSX videos to DXA to allow them to play in ScummVM? I've attempted this on my own with no luck. I found a .STR converter, which will convert the videos to .AVI. I can then convert this to a series of .PNG files, which I can then convert to DXA.

The problem I'm running in to is converting them to 640x480, they won't work, which is probably an issue with the .STR to .AVI converter.

The best I can do is 320x200, which plays back very small in ScummVM, is there an option I can set to stretch this video? I think it only plays back at 320x200 on a PSX anyways. The actual videos on the PSX CD is 640x200.

Any ideas?
bobdevis

Re: Broken Sword PSX Videos

Post by bobdevis »

ziltink wrote: [...]which is probably an issue with the .STR to .AVI converter.
Well, that is easy to find out. What resolution is the avi you are getting?

If you use VLC media player, you can find that info under Tools > Codec Information > Codec Details.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

But what would be the point? Isn't the cutscenes already available better quality than the pax ones?
ziltink

Re: Broken Sword PSX Videos

Post by ziltink »

The resolution of the .AVI I get is 640x200. When I use these in ScummVM, it plays back at that resolution, which it does not do on a PSX because of the square resolution of the TV.
bobdevis wrote:
ziltink wrote: [...]which is probably an issue with the .STR to .AVI converter.
Well, that is easy to find out. What resolution is the avi you are getting?

If you use VLC media player, you can find that info under Tools > Codec Information > Codec Details.
ziltink

Post by ziltink »

You're right, the are much better, I guess just nostalgia. :D
Longcat wrote:But what would be the point? Isn't the cutscenes already available better quality than the pax ones?