Sierra games don't allow speech and text at the same time.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

pykman

Post by pykman »

Little problem with SQ4CD (GOG.com version) here.

At the start of the outro dialog when choosing both text and voices, there is no speech and text is displayed very fast.

Words that can't be heard are:
"You mus..."
"Is it tr..."
"You go fir..."
"I'm so con..."

When choosing only text or subtitles everything's fine.

ScummVM v 1.5.0
gliak

Any progress on LB2CD speech+text?

Post by gliak »

md5 wrote:I'm also working on patching LB2CD and KQ6CD to allow simultaneous speech and subtitles, but they have checks in a lot of places, which will have to be rewritten
Any progress on Laura Bow 2 :?:

Thanks!
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

pykman: Though there are known issues with Text and Speech enabled at same time, I can't find that one noted. Please open a bug in the tracker for that and we will deal with it in time...
gliak

Text+speech in Laura Bow 2

Post by gliak »

I have enabled both in scummVM control panel but it does'nt work at all. It plays either with text or with speech. Is this a bug of the ScummVM or just the feature is not present in the game's side?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

ScummVM doesn't support speech and subtitles for the CD versions of LB2 and KQ6 yet. It's still on the TODO.

Status

The following SCI1.1 CD support speech + subtitles on their own:
- Eco Quest 1
- Larry 6

ScummVM adds speech and subtitles for the following:
- Freddy Pharkas
- Space Quest 4

Speech and subtitles is not yet supported for (script patches are needed):
- King's Quest 6
- Laura Bow 2
Last edited by md5 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
gliak

Post by gliak »

Thank you for the notice.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

gliak: Updated my original post to indicate the current status
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

md5 wrote:Speech and subtitles is not yet supported for (script patches are needed):
- King's Quest 6
- Laura Bow 2
I took a look at Laura Bow 2 yesterday. It seems the scripts were somewhat supposed to support both, but there are a few bugs here and there. Sadly there is no "both" graphic like in Space Quest 4. So the selection of audio + text will probably be done in ScummVM GUI.

EDIT: script patch was just commited. Needs in-depth testing. I only tried the intro and a couple of scenes. Like I already said, just switch the "text and speech" setting to "both" in ScummVM game menu. The game will then get patched and show text + audio, when "speech" is selected in-game.

And it seems as if a few of those patches already apply to King's Quest 6 as well. Will look into that shortly. The hi-res portraits may be problematic. We will see.
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Hi, I wonder if someday, it could be possible in ScummVM to enable to combine the text from the German version (there is no talkie German) of SQ4 with the speech of the English version, or is that even planned? I have both versions and am curious.

That game and KQ5 are probably the only Sierra games that have english Talkie versions, but NO German version with English voice and German text available, later games usually had complete german localizations.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

fischkopf wrote:Hi, I wonder if someday, it could be possible in ScummVM to enable to combine the text from the German version (there is no talkie German) of SQ4 with the speech of the English version, or is that even planned? I have both versions and am curious.
In theory yes. But it would require lots of work. The translated Space Quest 4 versions used interpreter version SCI1 (late) and uses so called "text resources". Space Quest 4 CD uses interpreter version SCI1.1 and so called "message resources" - It's not possible to simply copy them over. And additionally most if not all translated Sierra SCI games contain English text as well. Which means the scripts of those versions are adjusted to handle 2 languages. Which isn't the case for the CD version. Hell, even the fonts of Space Quest 4 CD don't support special characters like umlauts.

For me, adding such feature is definitely not planned.

Update on text+audio support: King's Quest 6 text+audio support somewhat works with the patches, that I created for Laura Bow 2. But there are graphical issues. The low-res King's Quest 6 draws text-boxes too far to the left/right and the corresponding frame gets cut off. And hi-res King's Quest 6 (hires portraits) has real graphical glitches. The patches are not enabled for now because of that. Laura Bow 2 however seems to work just fine. I noticed a minor issue though (not gameplay related) and will fix that soon.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

m_kiewitz: I downloaded a daily build and played a little with LB2 - great work! Thank you very much for enabling this. It truly enhances the experience for me. Too bad it doesn't fix the poor voice acting though :-)
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

m_kiewitz wrote:Update on text+audio support: King's Quest 6 text+audio support somewhat works with the patches, that I created for Laura Bow 2. But there are graphical issues. The low-res King's Quest 6 draws text-boxes too far to the left/right and the corresponding frame gets cut off. And hi-res King's Quest 6 (hires portraits) has real graphical glitches. The patches are not enabled for now because of that. Laura Bow 2 however seems to work just fine. I noticed a minor issue though (not gameplay related) and will fix that soon.
Another update:

I enabled text+audio support for King's Quest 6 today.
It seems all of the low-res issues are solved. Although there may be special cases somewhere, that still don't work properly.

There are some issues with the hi-res version though. The low-res portrait window is shown after the hi-res portrait is done playing. And the hi-res frame is missing for the gnomes.
EDIT: those issues are now fixed

If someone finds an issue, please post it in here instead of posting it to the bug tracker.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

It's a pity about KQ5 since that is the most egregious case. I remember playing it 10+ years ago and wondering where is the text.

Anyway, about the in-graphics for the 'both' button, why don't you hold a competition for a button graphic on the same style with GPL attribution? It's not like style is copyrighted or anything.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Serious Callers Only wrote:It's a pity about KQ5 since that is the most egregious case. I remember playing it 10+ years ago and wondering where is the text.
Sadly, the text resources are all missing in the CD version of KQ5, so it's not easy to support this feature in that version at all...
Serious Callers Only wrote:Anyway, about the in-graphics for the 'both' button, why don't you hold a competition for a button graphic on the same style with GPL attribution? It's not like style is copyrighted or anything.
The button is more or less a bitmap with the "Both" text overlaid on top. IMHO it could be done fairly easily using the existing graphics, so we shouldn't need a contest for that. We'll see.
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

What if we do own the floppy version too, such as in some of the compilation CDs? Is there hope?