Simon the sorcerer dos vs win

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mrmamen

Simon the sorcerer dos vs win

Post by mrmamen »

Hi

I have a CD with both windows and dos version of Simon 2. Which version should I install with scummVM, I see that both are supported, but what are the differences between the versions?
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Seems a bit strange that the CD has both versions, as the Windows version was the only one released on a CD if I recall.

Anyway, the Windows version was the talkie one, so if you want voices then that is the one to use.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

KuroShiro wrote:Seems a bit strange that the CD has both versions, as the Windows version was the only one released on a CD if I recall.

Anyway, the Windows version was the talkie one, so if you want voices then that is the one to use.
No, both Dos and Windows version exist as Talkie CD (at leat the German version), I have them both too.
Anyway, to me both seem identical in content and while the speech files are differently named I don't hear a difference so just use the one you want :)
Last edited by chrisis on Sat May 15, 2010 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrmamen

Post by mrmamen »

Okay.

The dos version uses *.voc file, while the windows uses *.wav as speach/sound. I guess they are more or less the same.
Thanks
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chrisis wrote: No, both Dos and Windows version exist as Talkie CD (at leat the German version), I have them both too.
It's the same thing with the English version. When I bought the "Simon the Sorcerer Double Pack", years ago, it had one CD for each of the two games. Both of them contained two versions of each game, both talkies. I assumed one was the Windows and one the DOS version.

Later, I bought another collection which included the puzzle pack and pinball game as well. That was on one disc, and had only one version of each game.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Ok, guess I was mistaken. I got the CD version of 1 and 2 back when they were released and both only contained Windows talkie versions. Guess the new ones Adventuresoft is selling packs more onto them.
balpat

Post by balpat »

If I'm not mistaken, the Win-version doesn't support MT32 but everything else is the same.
Yumi

Post by Yumi »

I guess it's a stupid question, but just to make sure - if I buy the win xp compatible version, it should work without problems with scumm as a win version? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Yes! You can buy whatever version you want, they all should work the same on any ScummVM version no matter what OS.
Nagra

Post by Nagra »

balpat wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the Win-version doesn't support MT32 but everything else is the same.
Yes, that is true. I have the german CD. No real MT32 is supported in the windows-version.