The Whispered World

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

The Whispered World

Post by Nikioko »

It is finally out for sale in English:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem.php?id=2076
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

I picked it up (the English version).

It is definitely a good game. For anyone who's interested...

Pros: beautiful graphics, challenging and creative (if sometimes bizzare and illogical) puzzles, has great atmosphere, and I have a feeling it's really well written in the original German. Gets better as it goes along.

Cons: Brutal, brutal voice acting for the main character. So bad that I turned off all voices in the game. Unnatural English translation, but not terrible. Loses most if not all of any intended comedy though.

It's definitely the best adventure game out of Europe to be localized into English so far.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

I have to say I'm dissapointed with this title. The community kept my expectations high, and the reality was ... dissapointing.
As KuroShiro wrote - the main character's voice is terrible - not in a sense of voice acting, which is pretty decent. The developers chose purposedly (I suppose) to introduce some characteristic manner of speaking. I think it was done to emphasize Sadwick's personality features, but the result is annoying.
Many puzzles seem illogical to me. Actually the whole world of the game is pretty abstract and for me it's difficult to immerse into game.
As to visuals - the backgrounds look nice, but animations could use more frames...

To summarize - the game looks great only on static screenshots, apart from that it's much below my expectations. What I especially regret - It's booooooring. :(
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, the problem with the voice actors seem to be an English language specific problem. In Germany there is a long tradition of dubbing films and therefore many voice actors of high quality. Since there are not so many productions dubbed to English, the dubbing quality is almost predictably worse. Nevertheless, the game has some other qualities to rely on: graphics, music, story, puzzles (though some of them are quite illogical, indeed).
Flo

Post by Flo »

Nikioko wrote:Well, the problem with the voice actors seem to be an English language specific problem.
It's not, it's a translation/localization problem. Despite Germany's history of dubbing media (France does the same thing, btw), German localized versions of foreign games are, without exception, worse than their original counterparts. Even a great translator working with an exceptionally talented cast generally can't hope to match a good original. Something always gets lost. The worst cases are literal translations, which never work with humor, but are still the most common option for games, where the original creators usually take no part in localization efforts.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Flo wrote:German localized versions of foreign games are, without exception, worse than their original counterparts.
I disagree with that. Some guys consider the German version of Grim Fandango to be better than the English one (which I doubt), so there are of course possible exceptions, though none is coming to my mind right now.
Marvel

Post by Marvel »

Hmm... well, "The whispered world" just won the german computer game award. I haven't played the english version yet. Have to check it out...
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Marvel wrote:Hmm... well, "The whispered world" just won the german computer game award.
That's another story... For those who understand German:

http://www.welt.de/die-welt/kultur/arti ... stole.html
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The ending was enough to make me regret playing the game at all. Talk about ruining a promising story with clichees:P horrible. And Even though Sadwicks Voice grows on you somewhat, it is still terribly done. Sad to say Im never going to replay this. And it showed such potential of being great.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Longcat wrote:The ending was enough to make me regret playing the game at all. Talk about ruining a promising story with clichees:P horrible. And Even though Sadwicks Voice grows on you somewhat, it is still terribly done. Sad to say Im never going to replay this. And it showed such potential of being great.
Which game isn't clichée? Well, this one is...

[spoiler!]Dead End or the Futurama episode The Sting in the end, but what I hated most was that you didn't have the choice between two endings, smashing either the one or the other mirror. [/spoiler]
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

I was so negative about the game that I stopped playing in the middle of it. Now, after a month I finished it, hoping that after seeing it all I will appreciate it. Unforunately I still think, it's decent, but it's far from beeing great adventure. And the ending... [spoiler] it's the worst clichée you can imagine - and it begs for alternative ending. I don't know how to explain why designers didn't allowed it. It seems they didn't have any idea for the ending at all. [/spoiler]
I feel I wasted my money... :(
Bluddy
ScummVM Developer

Post by Bluddy »

Haven't played it, but by the reactions here... Makes me sad how a game can have so much going for it and still miss the mark by so much. They put so much effort into the graphics and neglected the plot, which is the heart of an adventure game...
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, the game isn't *that* bad, but it's not as good as it was made out to be, quite frankly.

The localization doesn't help of course, but the whole game felt a little bit...lifeless, especially towards the end. Maybe this was the goal, but I think they could have done a lot more with the setting. I didn't hate the ending as much as most people seem to, but it did make the whole game feel like a bit of a tease.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

The game fought against The Book of Unwritten Tales as the adventure game of the year 2009 and most of the time won this duel. The other adventures like Ceville, Black Miror 2, or Runaway 3 didn't have any chance against these two.
You might decide yourself which is the better one.
CrisGer

Post by CrisGer »

I am sorry to say that this game is in the junk can with The Abbey, both terrible examples of oversimlifed animation and terrible voice acting. Murder by bad game design. Waste of time and effort.