Why does ScummVM still use 256-colours for fullscreen?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Why does ScummVM still use 256-colours for fullscreen?

Post by marzipan »

I don't really like to play ScummVM in fullscreen under Windows atm because of its tendency to refresh my monitor's display so that it can change the refresh rate/Hz setting, switch my display to 256-colour mode, and possibly align the game display incorrectly so that I have to go to my monitor's settings and choose "auto-adjust".

DOSBox actually one-ups over ScummVM in this aspect by offering a variety of display modes to the user such as surface (which has the same effect as ScummVM), overlay (where a new display is essentially created over the top of the current one, keeping the current display settings), opengl, direct3d, etc etc etc. I'm a particular fan of 'overlay' as - when set up correctly - you can play away in fullscreen without worrying about your monitor's refresh rate being changed, your color depth setting being altered (and hence refreshing any windows you may have open that you didn't want refreshed), and the display alignment working correctly from the start.

Would it be relatively easy to port these DOSBox renders over to ScummVM? You did include its OPL emulation after all. :)

At the very least I would like to be able to play fullscreen in 32-bit colour mode. :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Why does ScummVM still use 256-colours for fullscreen?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

marzipan wrote:switch my display to 256-colour mode,
Not really an answer to your question, but... 256-colour mode? That sounds strange. I thought ScummVM - the SDL backend, at least - used 16 bpp internally at all times, not 8 bpp. (And even then, I believe SDL itself may choose to use a different graphics mode internally, though it probably tries not to, to avoid the overhead.)
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Well, maybe I'm wrong about it - but I'm just going by the assumption that (I'm pretty sure from past usage) when getting out of fullscreen the display would garble colours of pink, light blue and green for a split second before returning to Windows - a common trait I've seen with apps coming out of a 256-colour mode. I'll give it another try though and see if I'm misremembering.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

marzipan wrote:the display would garble colours of pink, light blue and green for a split second before returning to Windows - a common trait I've seen with apps coming out of a 256-colour mode
This might also happen when the fullscreen 16bpp mode SDL gets for ScummVM is different from the windowed one. For example, one might be RGB555, the other RGB565.
Collector

Post by Collector »

There has been similar issues with fullscreen on Vista/Win7 using surface for the output in DOSBox. It is an SDL issue. Of course on DOSBox it can easily be fixed by selecting a different output mode in the conf file.