Return of the Tentacle

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

purple

Return of the Tentacle

Post by purple »

hi!

I am new here, and i just want to inform you about our project Maniac Mansion 3: Return of the Tentacle hoping to get some response. Besides it would be great to get a bit international.

I am one of the graphic artists.
A few months ago, i have made a kind of promotion video hoping to get some help from potential graphic artists out there.
We are working hard day to day, but our small number of members (especially graphic artists) constricts our fluent and efficient work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osAMPo40MZo

http://dott2.org/index.php?lang=en&site=home

Would be nice to hear from you.
As you see on our website, there are some screenshots online.
So what do you think about the project? Any comments?
And:
If there is anyone of you who wants to take part: we would welcome you!

greetings from germany
seubz

Post by seubz »

Hi,

I'm working on a similar project (not MM related) in the sense that it's also retro style. The engine we are using is actually the original SCUMM engine v6 which was used to make DotT. I've developed a compiler called ScummGEN which lets you build these games and can be run with ScummVM. I would be glad to help you develop your game with this if you're willing to create a true old school experience :)

Seubz
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i like dr fred's new/old look - i look forward to seeing how this turns out :D
purple

Post by purple »

hey guys,

thank you so much!

just asked the team leader, but it seems we dont need a new engine.
we are using the german software called visionaire (http://www.visionaire-studio.net/start/index.html also available in english).
it's a great software which allows you to develop an adventure game without any great programming skills.
unfortunately it doesnt work without any difficulty for us at the moment, because of one or two details, but thats not a problem. and by the way, a software update is coming soon.
Last edited by purple on Mon May 03, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
seubz

Post by seubz »

No worries, I was just suggesting :) SCUMM is not easy to program either (especially with ScummGEN), which is why I was volunteering for it. If you want a demo of what I've done with my team, don't hesitate to contact me.
purple

Post by purple »

it would be nice, i´m curious to see that. ;)
if you want, just send me a personal message if it should stay secret.
purple

Post by purple »

hey guys,

we have some news for you:
about two weeks ago, we've started the first test runs for a new engine. today it's official: from now on, we'll work with the wintermute engine.
as some of you already know, we were using the visionaire engine.
the visionaire-team did a great job and we'll miss their support in any case.
as i already mentioned, visionaire is an easy to use programming software, which also allows greenhorns to develop their own games.

especially since the last few months, results get better and better.
it's our goal to bring you the best adventure gaming experience. just to make that sure, we immediately count on the wintermute engine.

enclosed you can see a brand new ingame screenshot of bernards journey through ... whatever. you'll find out in the full version. ;)

visit us:
www.dott2.org

mail us:
info@dott2.org
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Look cool. I hope you guys will have the stamina to see this though to the end.

I am curious though. Have you made an estimate of how many frames of animation you are going to need in total?
It's just that I came to realise that you do lots of characters with different outfits, lots of actions, lots of directions the characters are facing and lots of frames-per-animation, the total texture count needed can grow to insane amounts.
2D animation is very unforgiving like that.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Looks great - very DOTT of course. Hope you can complete it... and have an English release ;) :)
purple

Post by purple »

hey bobdevis,
thanks for the compliment.
we will finalize our job in any case.

that's a big question.
you're right, it's a very high number of frames and it takes a lot of time. but we didn't make an estimate of how many frames we're going to need in total. i don't know for sure, but i guess there are about 600 frames for the demo version, because almost every character has at least one talking animation. but apart from that, there also are animations which took about 50 to 100 frames, so spontaneously i think it would be more than 1500-2000 for the full version later.

but it sounds more like it is. a talking animation for example is easy to produce.

edit:
oh reckless, thanks for your comment!
yes, the DOTT-drawing-style is one of the most important things we are trying to observe.

and yes, of course there will be an english version. ;)
purple

Post by purple »

hey guys,

yesterday our public board went online.
there's also an english subforum for you, so you're welcome to take part on some discussions if you want.

we'll always stay up to date for you, so you always could take a look for some news.

board.dott2.org

hope to see you there!
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

Looks great, but personally I would spend my efforts in creating your own IP and not use IP which might get you in trouble (or not being able to release)..

If you are in need for still another engine I would suggest Adventure Game Studio (AGS) which has seen more games created than any other adventuregame engine.. It also runs on linux. But I guess wintermute would suffice too, altough I wonder why the change of engine happened as the visionaire engine also seems great (both are windows only).

Good luck..
purple

Post by purple »

hi superdre,

thanks for your comment!

sorry, what do you mean with IP in this context? :oops:

engine:
it's not my subject so personally i can't say much about that (i'm just the graphic artist), but now our programmer can write his own codes, has more flexibility, and so at least the error rate has dropped immense. :)
as far as i know (and as our intern test demos show), functions are very extensive there, and we've never made such as great advances as today.
fact is, that WME is a great, flexible adventure engine with a lot of functions, until the programmer knows his craft (but our programmer does).
i've read a lot of threads out there about this topic "which engine should i use?", but as far as i could see, there were people who praised AGS and others who praised WME. at least they were agreed, that both engines do their job in a very good way.
so finally i think it's a matter of taste with which engine you work, 'cause everyone has another working flow and his own customs.

but back to visionaire again:
yes, of course it's a great adventure creation software, but as i already said, it's nothing more than a construction kit for beginners (predominantly).
there is absolutely nothing to bleat with, but that's not our class anymore.
our programmer is not a rookie anymore, has more fun, a better working flow and achieves much better results with programming by himself (WME), and also the animations look smother and more authentic now.
in visionaire you can only work with given functions without any possibilities to code by yourself.
that caused some problems in our gameplay, because some features, a "real" adventure should have, were missing and so on.
we'd never say, that visionaire doesn't make a good job, and especially our project leader (who isn't able to program a game) used to work with visionaire for a while and that was great.
but if you see the engine related problems in your game, and you got the possibility to improve it with your abilities, you should take the chance.
and finally, our demo release won't even get delayed by that, so it's a firm thing. ;)

before i forget:
wintermute has no linux support in a direct way, but two of our team members are using linux and playing our game with WINE is absolutely no problem. ;)
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

purple wrote:hi superdre,

thanks for your comment!

sorry, what do you mean with IP in this context? :oops:
IP = Intellectual Property (simply said (back)storyline/ world/characters/etc)..

But since there are already a lot of fanmade maniac mansion games out, I don't think they are persuing it.. But that doesn't mean they won't, which would mean you did all the work for nothing since you can't show it..
Creating your own character/story/etc won't get you in that kind of trouble, and with the quality you shown already I think a lot of people would like it just as much as being it a 'sequel' to an already existing franchise..

And thanx for explaining about Visionaire, as I didn't even know it was nothing more than a construction kit..

Good luck...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

I think with IP (= intellectual property) he was referring to the fact that instead of using your own creativity to come up with an original set of characters, visual look and story, you are simply copying the work LucasArts did, by using their characters, building upon the setting they created, and imitating the visual style of their games. While imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery, many companies do not share this view and aggressively pursue people who do just that. Other LucasArts adventure fan projects have been shut down by legal threats in the past, and it is quite possible that the same will happen to you -- and then all the hard work you put into this will be for nothing.

Of course, coming up with something really original and creative and *good* on your own is far more difficult... and of course I do understand that people love DOTT and its characters and crave for more stories from there, but, well, it has risks, too :-).