Gabriel Knight 1 on gog.com

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Talking of Windows 3.1 I was just browsing OSnews which linked to this.

http://www.michaelv.org.nyud.net/
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Freddo wrote:
fischkopf wrote:Now we know who has the Gabriel Knight rights someone should contact Jane Jensen she wants to make GK4 for us. :D
Jane Jensen is already busy with Gray Matter, supposingly released in may.

And even if she wants to make a GK4, I doubt Activision Blizzard wants to spend money on developing it. If it's not a 100 million dollar franchise, they won't work on it.
too bad there will probably never be a gk4 but gray matter is going to be great.
chrisis

Space Quest 4-6 now available too

Post by chrisis »

So, just read Space Quest 4-6 are now availbable too on gog.com (in one package!) for $9.99.
Good news!
maximus

Re: Space Quest 4-6 now available too

Post by maximus »

chrisis wrote:So, just read Space Quest 4-6 are now availbable too on gog.com (in one package!) for $9.99.
Good news!
So's Phantasmagoria :D
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Gabriel Knight 2 avaliable on GOG now and Kings Quest 4-6 will be released on Thursday:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/king%E2% ... uest_4_5_6
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

just scooped up GK1. nice, uses DOSBOX to run it. i tried to use SCUMMVM to run it, and it runs fine, except that it doesn't play the CDAUDIO/SPEECH. anyway of getting that to work?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

yeah yeah wrote:just scooped up GK1. nice, uses DOSBOX to run it. i tried to use SCUMMVM to run it, and it runs fine, except that it doesn't play the CDAUDIO/SPEECH. anyway of getting that to work?
GK1 is not supported under ScummVM yet, and is still WIP. I'm not sure why speech is not played in your version though, that sounds odd. The speech is inside the resource.aud file, check the location of that file (it should be in the game's main directory, or the "aud" subdirectory)
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

seems like the resource.aud file was replace/renamed to gk1.gog. damn, was hoping to use SCUMMVM rather than DOSBOX.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Just built the latest trunk and tried out GK1. Considering its barely functional state just a few weeks ago, it's really progressed by leaps and bounds. Great work SCI team.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

yeah yeah wrote:seems like the resource.aud file was replace/renamed to gk1.gog. damn, was hoping to use SCUMMVM rather than DOSBOX.
wouldn't surprise me if it was a simple rename. try copying it to a new file called resource.aud and see if that fixes it.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

already tried. nope. :(
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, you can still hope that in the future, when SCI is officially supported, GOG will release a version that is compatible. I suppose that depends on Activision to some extent though.

Either way, I doubt GK1 will be completable or particularly playable in ScummVM for a while yet, so you're better off using DosBox atm anyway.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Could the gk1.gog just be a disc image? Look in the dosboxGK1.conf or whatever they are calling the config file in the autoexec section for a command like

imgmount d gk1.gog

If it is an image, the RESOURCE.AUD could be extracted from it.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Collector wrote:Could the gk1.gog just be a disc image? Look in the dosboxGK1.conf or whatever they are calling the config file in the autoexec section for a command like

imgmount d gk1.gog

If it is an image, the RESOURCE.AUD could be extracted from it.
That's correct. gk1.gog is just a plain ISO image of the CD.
Collector

Post by Collector »

How bizarre. There is absolutely no reason to do that. It is not as if the game uses CD audio. All that is required is to have the RESOURCE.AUD in the game's folder edit the RESOURCE.CFG to point to it. The more I see of the GOG releases, the more I am convinced that they don't really understand the SCI games.