Grim Fandango: Slightly odd problem

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jamyskis

Grim Fandango: Slightly odd problem

Post by jamyskis »

I've got a slightly odd problem regarding GF and the question is rather embarrassing. I've been reading about all the troubles that people have been having. Oddly enough, I have XP with a quad-core system and HD4890 graphic card and I'm having no problems running the game. None. Zero. Zilch. Amazing eh?

Now for the weird bit. Whenever I start the game, it restarts at the last point I left it, even though I haven't saved. I'd like to be able to restart the game for the benefit of my girlfriend, but I can't! I've checked the command line interface (nowt there) and tried "Erase Saved Games", which reports proudly to me that there are none. I've checked the game directory and there is nothing being saved.

Is there something in another directory I should be aware of? Maybe in the registry?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Did you use the original installer or something you found on the internet?

Sounds like you might have the good_times registry key enabled.
jamyskis

Post by jamyskis »

Found the problem. Like I said, embarrassing.

I used the original installer, but then I gave the launcher that's been floating around a try. Wasn't keen on having developer mode enabled, so I ditched it and went back to the traditional way.

As it turns out, the good_times registry key was still enabled, and even deactivating that didn't help, I also had to delete the GrimLastSet key.

That'll teach me for fiddling about too much.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

What does Grim Fandango have to do with ScummVM, anyway?
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

Nikioko wrote:What does Grim Fandango have to do with ScummVM, anyway?
Exactly.

This is the kind of problem that could be discussed either in the Grim Fandango section of LucasForums (more specifically for technical issues such as this, Glottis' Garage would be appropriate), or in the Residual Official forum, which is basically ScummVM for Grim Fandango and such 3D adventure games (just saying ;)).

Don't know if you agree with me guys, but I think there should be some way to redirect people with Grim Fandango and Escape of Monkey Island problems or discussions, to the Residual site or forum.

I think that would be of mutual interest to both projects, and would be a great way to avoid future confusions (or whatever) and anything else that could arise.

Just a little thought, nothing more.

Cheers :D
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

to be fair, the description of this forum is
" General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on."
which could easily encompass grim fandango. but it's true that grim-specific issues might be better handled in a grim-specific environment - then again, this board probably gets more traffic than the residual one.

whatever, it's not my decision to make, so i'm not going to make one :)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well there are enough generic adventure fora out there where it would fit better (and in fact, here is a junkyard forum where all the not-ScummVM-related stuff would fit better). I like to discuss about recent adventure games (and other ones that are not supported), but these fora are not the right place for technical issues on unsupported games, I think. For technical problems, there is the support forum, but it is only for technical issues with ScummVM.