Curse of Mokey Island graphics

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

DIRdy

Curse of Mokey Island graphics

Post by DIRdy »

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can help me out with this, cuz I'm losing it... :(

Ok so I acquired Curse of Mokey Island, the legendary game I played back in grade school. The game starts just fine, and everything goes smooth - its just that the graphics are all screwy, colors to be exact. Either its all the wrong colors or the edges of the characters have weird colors behind them...

Well as you can see I'm a total noob with this stuff and I don't know if I'll encounter additional problems as the game goes on, cuz this alone makes the game unplayable. Thanks in advance :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Curse of Mokey Island graphics

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DIRdy wrote:The game starts just fine, and everything goes smooth - its just that the graphics are all screwy, colors to be exact. Either its all the wrong colors or the edges of the characters have weird colors behind them...
Is this when you're running the original Windows program, or is it when you're using ScummVM?

From what I remember, the edges of at least some of the characters are translucent, so they only darken the background instead of replacing it. The same effect is used to draw shadows. I have no idea why this would go wrong, but if it did that could be the strange colours you are seeing.
DIRdy

Post by DIRdy »

(I'm using ScummVM of course.) I've fixed the colors, but Guybrush and the characters are in low-res. Jaggs on the edges of every line that sometimes make the characters facial expressions indiscernible. Is there any way to fix this or is that just inevitable? (Thanks again for your time :)
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

Which device are you running it on? If you're running it on a portable device (like a mobile phone or a PDA) it probably has to do with its screen resolution.
DIRdy

Post by DIRdy »

PC, Windows 7. (though I doubt the fact that its 7 is relevant)
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

DIRdy wrote:(I'm using ScummVM of course.) I've fixed the colors,
Fixed how?
DIRdy wrote: Guybrush and the characters are in low-res. Jaggs on the edges of every line that sometimes make the characters facial expressions indiscernible.
'
Could you maybe screenshot it and show us?
DIRdy

Post by DIRdy »

Well I haven't really fixed them, the problem just went away somehow. I'm totally flabbergasted as to why or how, but now its gone for good. :shock:

The current situation is that game works perfectly fine. The only annoying issue is that Guybrush and the moving characters seem to be a little "frizzled". The background is groovy, but Guybrush seems a little "low-res" and jaggy.

Now this could just be the game, I don't know, that's why I'm basically asking if its supposed to be that way? And even if so, could it be fixed?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

DIRdy, could you provide a screenshot?

Eugene