Does anyone have the Zork Anthology?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lordskylark

Does anyone have the Zork Anthology?

Post by lordskylark »

Does anyone have the Zork Anthology collection on cd? I believe it came with two things I am interested in (since I sold my copy awhile back) One is a demo movie of the Return to Planetfall, and the other is a short interactive demo (as opposed to the non-interactive one) for Return to Zork.

Thanks
Andy
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Funnily enough, I'm currently planning on getting a decently-priced copy of this off eBay at some point.

Having said that though, I have the Zork Legacy Collection which includes the Anthology, but it doesn't include any of the material you just mentioned.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

I also own the legacy collection and had a look the anthology cd. My version contains the Planetfall movie. It has a file extension of .ibm and a player called movie.exe.

Doesn't run out of the box on my system and don't have the time atm to twiddle around with it.

I suppose the rtz demo is the interactive one beacause the svn version of scummvm doesn't recognize it

"rtzcd.red", "946997d8b0aa6cb4e848bad02a1fc3d2", 130683
"rtz.prj", "0706334113bd54ff8ef449dd8e82e80f", 47461369

Cheers,
René
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Are you sure those are the demo version files? Didn't think a demo would have a PRJ file 46mb+ in size.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

You're right they are big files, these are straight from the cd becaus the stuff doesn't rum from my current system. Maybe things wil change when it's installed.

Anyway this is from the read me:

The Zork Anthology includes demos of 2 of our
products: Return to Zork and MechWarrior II: The Clans.

After you have installed the Zork Antholgy, you will be able
to start these demos from the \ACTDEMOS directory.

To see the Return to Zork Demo, type RTZ at the prompt. Return
to Zork is currently available on both floppy disk and CD-ROM
formats.
Truus999

Follow up

Post by Truus999 »

Ran the planetfall movie in dosbox. Not shocking but nice to have. Will ask in the demo topic if it should be uploaded to the demo repository (and maybe it can be made to run with the made engine)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Truus999 wrote:I also own the legacy collection and had a look the anthology cd. My version contains the Planetfall movie. It has a file extension of .ibm and a player called movie.exe.
The Classic Text Adventure Masterpieces collection has a 23-second PLANETFA.AVI movie. I wonder if that's the same one in different packaging.
Truus999

Post by Truus999 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Truus999 wrote:I also own the legacy collection and had a look the anthology cd. My version contains the Planetfall movie. It has a file extension of .ibm and a player called movie.exe.
The Classic Text Adventure Masterpieces collection has a 23-second PLANETFA.AVI movie. I wonder if that's the same one in different packaging.
I also own that one I will compare them this weekend
lordskylark

Post by lordskylark »

I am assuming the 23 second one is the last of these three:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QxZgwQdd70
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCa3XuGM7yI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6RpHdhJl1M

The top two may have been one attempt to make the Planetfall game and the third one was a different attempt as the styles seem drastically different.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

lordskylark wrote:I am assuming the 23 second one is the last of these three:
Yes, it's the last one. I hadn't seen the other ones before.

At first, I couldn't remember where I had seen the trailer, so I searched on Usenet and came across a few postings by a Milo Sputter (possibly an assumed name, since it appears on the blueprints in the Stationfall manual) of Team Planetfall.

I don't know if they're genuine or not. There were supposed to be periodic updates, but it looks like there were only two.