What's the status on Simon 1 Acorn floppy?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

What's the status on Simon 1 Acorn floppy?

Post by marzipan »

I copied the files off the Acorn disks to a single folder, but I've noticed that none of them have a .dat extension (which is what the wiki's Required Files section implies, unless it's merely a placeholder). I give them a .dat extension anyway and this is what I get:

Code: Select all

Using configuration file: scummvm.ini
User picked target 'simon1' (gameid 'simon1')...
  Looking for a plugin supporting this gameid... AGOS
  Starting 'Simon the Sorcerer 1'
Assertion failed: READ_BE_UINT16(&((AnimationHeader_Simon *) p)->id) == vgaSprit
eId, file engines/agos/gfx.cpp, line 1119

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
Obviously I've jumped on the wagon a tad early, haven't I?
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

You need to use the original installer, under Acorn emulator, to extract the data files.

The Acorn disk version is completable under ScummVM, but there is currently no support for the music format used.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Well I tried the installer, but it complained at some point about some file on Disk 2 being the incorrect length or other (even though there were no problems copying the material off that disk before), so it couldn't complete the rest of the installation.

When I looked at the stuff it copied though, it was in the same layout as when I had simply copied the files over manually. It was, essentially, using a copy script, so I don't see how using the installer makes any difference.

The files, when copied with an Acorn, carry a ",ffd" suffix at the end (yes, that's a comma, not a dot). It is these files which I renamed to replace the suffix with a .dat extension. Is this how the files are supposed to be named or not? Do files like GAMEBASE need the extension or can they go without?