Alternative Soundtrack for SCI-Games, eg. QuestStudios

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MoKeiichi

Alternative Soundtrack for SCI-Games, eg. QuestStudios

Post by MoKeiichi »

Hi,

I'd like to know, if it is possible to have alternative Soundtracks playing in Sierra SCI-Games, eg. digital Soundtracks from QuestStudios. Just like in Discworld or Simon from the ScummVM Enhanced Music Project. It seems they are "static", not like iMuse, so it should be possible. Or is it still too early to ask, as SCI implementation is still in development? (imho SCI0 is already quite perfect, Colonel's Bequest looks really great now)

Greetings,
Ke-kun
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

The short answer, I imagine, is no (unless you can patch it in yourself). As you said it's still in heavy development and I think the devs are more concentrated on making things work as they are supposed to rather than implementing 3rd party extras. It would be a nice bonus in the future though.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

The way I understand this, there isn't going to be offical support for enhanced soundtracks as Sierra would effectively have to release the soundtrack into the public domain. Sites like Quest Studios or Sierra Music Central are tolerated but are technically breaching copyright by distributing the soundtracks. I don't imagine Sierra care but they probably aren't about to legally give up their property.

Also there is a bit more going on in SCI's music than in some other games, especially with SCI1+. The engine can turn off specific channels, merge tracks together and the like so a digital soundtrack would never be perfect.

However, if you want to try out an unofficial version with non-enhanced recordings of the MT-32 soundtracks have a look at http://pix.www.idnet.com. Most of the SCI0 games are on there, it still needs some work but it's a lot better than adlib as far as I'm concerned.
Collector

Post by Collector »

Pix2 wrote:Sites like Quest Studios or Sierra Music Central are tolerated but are technically breaching copyright by distributing the soundtracks.
I can't say about Sierra Music Central, but Quest Studios has permission to host the music that they have.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

QS has had permission since 1996. In fact, as I understand it, Sierra even went to such lengths as to send Tom free copies of games he didn't have so he could get the soundtracks uploaded on Quest Studios.
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Theoretically this should be possible, but because of some games depending on signals from the actual music one would need to actually play MIDI/adlib silently and play the MP3 on top of it. Also I'm not sure if any MP3 sounds better than MT32.

Like someone already said: SCI is wip and our main concern is to get compatibility up and fix known issues.
Pix2

Post by Pix2 »

QS has had permission since 1996
I never knew that. It's nice to see a large games company being helpful for a change. Maybe it would be possible then although Sierra still haven't released the copyright I gather from the FAQ. The soundtracks on QS wouldn't be ideal as they stand. There are tracks rolled together, sound effects missing, etc and they aren't designed to be put back into the games. It would really need a new soundtrack being put together for each game.
Theoretically this should be possible, but because of some games depending on signals from the actual music one would need to actually play MIDI/adlib silently and play the MP3 on top of it. Also I'm not sure if any MP3 sounds better than MT32.
That's exactly what I've done. I agree about an original MT-32 being the best bet but I can't plug one into my PSP.
MoKeiichi

Post by MoKeiichi »

Pix2 wrote: However, if you want to try out an unofficial version with non-enhanced recordings of the MT-32 soundtracks have a look at http://pix.www.idnet.com. Most of the SCI0 games are on there, it still needs some work but it's a lot better than adlib as far as I'm concerned.
Wow, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for! :D Even works with SQ3 samples (did other SCI0-games have samples? the only older Sierra game with samples I know was KQ3 (AGI))
SCI0 doesn't have any dynamic music (like iMuse) yet, am I right?