Discworld1 PC + PSX Speeches - Possible?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Re: Discworld1 PC + PSX Speeches - Possible?

Post by Raziel »

EstelRandir wrote: What do you mean *real midi* hardware?
The Windows general midi sounds very mediocre & the music on the game itself played via the Playstatiion console is *ok* for an old console. The PC soundtrack can be made to sound fantastic with the right soundfont.

I thought the posts intent was to bring the actor voices (now possibly missing sound effects) from the PSX disc to the PC version.
I don't use soundfonts or emulating other sound drivers/soundcards.
I use a Yamaha 90R to play back all of the midi supported games, including DW1 PSX.

I was merely stating that the games music is supported just fine in ScummVM and in my opinion it sounds great when playing it through this hardware.

I didn't mean to derail the thread or diminish any other available sound replay option.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

EstelRandir wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:16 pm
JamesWoodcock wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:31 am That is not true.
I have the PSX version and it uses the on-disc midi music since nearly day one of its support and it sounds great with real midi hardware.
What do you mean *real midi* hardware? The Windows general midi sounds very mediocre & the music on the game itself played via the Playstatiion console is *ok* for an old console. The PC soundtrack can be made to sound fantastic with the right soundfont.

I thought the posts intent was to bring the actor voices (now possibly missing sound effects) from the PSX disc to the PC version.
Actually sound effects are present, its just my data files for Discworld were not complete (there are two different CD versions of Discworld original and director's cut). Now it plays like it should.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

KainXVIII wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:48 am Actually sound effects are present, its just my data files for Discworld were not complete (there are two different CD versions of Discworld original and director's cut). Now it plays like it should.
Just FYI: There were 4 full versions (non-demo) released for the PC.

1) Floppy version - No speech or sound effects. It is a total pain to get to work. This is the first version I tried to play. I absolutely hate it.
2) CD version 1 - very very buggy. Can still complete the game but the bugs really made it annoying to play. Characters disappeared, etc.
3) CD version 2 Director's Cut #1 - virtually all bugs squashed.
4) CD version 3 Director's Cut #2 - a few minor things fixed. I cannot find this version or what few glitches were fixed.

There is no real worry between Director's Cut 1 & 2. I have Director's Cut #1 & have played fully through several times. I do wish I could get my hands on the second Director's Cut for fun.

More information can be found here: https://www.lspace.org/games/discworld/faq.html#part2.3
And here (Section 2.2): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564624 ... /faqs/1849
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

EstelRandir wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:06 am
KainXVIII wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:48 am Actually sound effects are present, its just my data files for Discworld were not complete (there are two different CD versions of Discworld original and director's cut). Now it plays like it should.
Just FYI: There were 4 full versions (non-demo) released for the PC.

1) Floppy version - No speech or sound effects. It is a total pain to get to work. This is the first version I tried to play. I absolutely hate it.
2) CD version 1 - very very buggy. Can still complete the game but the bugs really made it annoying to play. Characters disappeared, etc.
4) CD version 3 Director's Cut #2 - a few minor things fixed. I cannot find this version or what few glitches were fixed.

There is no real worry between Director's Cut 1 & 2. I have Director's Cut #1 & have played fully through several times. I do wish I could get my hands on the second Director's Cut for fun.

More information can be found here: https://www.lspace.org/games/discworld/faq.html#part2.3
And here (Section 2.2): https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564624 ... /faqs/1849
Very interesting information, thanks!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

EstelRandir wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:06 am 1) Floppy version - No speech or sound effects. It is a total pain to get to work. This is the first version I tried to play. I absolutely hate it.
I wish they would have said some more about how to tell the versions apart. I have two CD versions myself:

1) One where most data files have the file extension .gra. The timestamps are between February 21 and March 3 1995, with most of them being from February 28. I assume this is CD version 1.
2) One where most data files have the file extension .scn. The timestamps are between April 25 and May 7 1995, with most of them being from May 7. (I'm not counting a rm.drv from March 8, because I don't think that file is needed for ScummVM.) I have no idea if this would be version 2 or 3. The disc says "ARGENTUM COLLECTION", which one of the pages says could possibly be version 3, but...
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 am I wish they would have said some more about how to tell the versions apart. I have two CD versions myself:
So do I. We know for sure that the discs with .scn files are director's cut 1 or 2. Discs with .gra files are CD version 1 and is best used as a coaster.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

EstelRandir wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:57 am
eriktorbjorn wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:48 am I wish they would have said some more about how to tell the versions apart. I have two CD versions myself:
So do I. We know for sure that the discs with .scn files are director's cut 1 or 2. Discs with .gra files are CD version 1 and is best used as a coaster.
There is a separate detection entry for the "Argentum Collection" English version of the game, but even though my disc says "Argentum Collection" it's apparently detected by another entry. I believe mine was included with Discworld 2. There was a separate Argentum Collection release with only (?) the first game. Perhaps those are two different versions? I don't know. And even if they are, I don't know which one would be the newer of them.
EstelRandir

Post by EstelRandir »

eriktorbjorn wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:18 pm There is a separate detection entry for the "Argentum Collection" English version of the game, but even though my disc says "Argentum Collection" it's apparently detected by another entry. I believe mine was included with Discworld 2. There was a separate Argentum Collection release with only (?) the first game. Perhaps those are two different versions? I don't know. And even if they are, I don't know which one would be the newer of them.
From my links to the L-Space webpages:
"5: The PC CD-ROM Version 3. Discworld: The Director's other cut. This is a third version of the PC-CDROM Discworld game. It has had the final few glitches fixed, and is apparently flawless. In the US, some copies of Discworld 2 come with Discworld 1 version 3 included, and this version may also be the version that has been released on Psygnosis' Argentium budget range - I'll try and check this out."
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

EstelRandir wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:05 am From my links to the L-Space webpages:
"5: The PC CD-ROM Version 3. Discworld: The Director's other cut. This is a third version of the PC-CDROM Discworld game. It has had the final few glitches fixed, and is apparently flawless. In the US, some copies of Discworld 2 come with Discworld 1 version 3 included, and this version may also be the version that has been released on Psygnosis' Argentium budget range - I'll try and check this out."
That still doesn't tell me how to tell versions 2 and 3 apart, though. I have an "Argentium Collection" CD, but it seems to match the detection entry labelled "English CD v2" in the Tinsel engine, not the one labelled "English CD "Argentum Collection"".
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

Sorry wasn't getting the email notifications due to a setting in the forum options, my bad! ...

After listening to the PSX version and hearing the sound quality difference even on something like YouTube, certainly an improvement to be had by using these sound files. Hopefully this could be a possibility. I remember the days when there was a chance Discworld was going to be freeware, seems so long ago now.
invwar

Post by invwar »

Wasnt the code vanished and thats why there was never a new attempt to get it freeware?