What about Larry Laffer ?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

Kaminari wrote:I have it on very good authority that, unfortunately, Larry 4 will never be supported by ScummVM because Al Lowe doesn't believe in "4-play".
We tried to include support, but Space Quest 4 required us to remove Larry 4 support, otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to finish Space Quest 4. We are very sorry.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

What are you guys on about? Larry 4 works just fine like all the other SCI0 stuff. Getting the game might be a bit tricky though. It's very rare on Ebay. You need to check back often.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

bobdevis wrote:What are you guys on about? Larry 4 works just fine like all the other SCI0 stuff. Getting the game might be a bit tricky though. It's very rare on Ebay. You need to check back often.
Actually, it's in the SCI01 realm.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

clone2727 wrote:
bobdevis wrote:What are you guys on about? Larry 4 works just fine like all the other SCI0 stuff. Getting the game might be a bit tricky though. It's very rare on Ebay. You need to check back often.
Actually, it's in the SCI01 realm.
Well, it must exist in *some* realm...
Joop

Post by Joop »

So what about Love for Sail?
I would like to replay this game on my couch with my Wii system.
I really love it, any ideas when I'll be able to play it with ScummVM?
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Joop wrote:So what about Love for Sail?
I would like to replay this game on my couch with my Wii system.
I really love it, any ideas when I'll be able to play it with ScummVM?
As mentioned, there is work being done on the SCI engine (which was used in the Larry games). Love for Sail is using the last version of the engine, SCI3, which used a different scripting system, and thus might take more time to implement than the others.
Joop

Post by Joop »

Thanks for the quick reply.
I can't wait to play it! ^^
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Joop wrote:I can't wait to play it! ^^
There's always DOSBox. (Which reminds me I keep intending to get my smeg together and set up LSL7 in DOSBox myself, but I'm too busy replaying The Rose Tattoo.)
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

Larry 4 refuses to work with ScummVM (or anything for that matter). I also lost its floppies.
What a joke !
XD

You're sure you have copy all folder ??? :roll: :wink:
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Yes,it is a joke. A deliberate joke.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

I know.
Joop

Post by Joop »

MeddlingMonk wrote:
There's always DOSBox. (Which reminds me I keep intending to get my smeg together and set up LSL7 in DOSBox myself, but I'm too busy replaying The Rose Tattoo.)
Nah, running Larry 7 on Dosbox on my Wii just won't work. No biggie though. I recently replayed it on pc.
You can get a decent installer for pc here!
DJANGO

Post by DJANGO »

MeddlingMonk wrote:
Here you have the answer. I made it based on what said Al Lowe on his website, and it worked. Also you can try the XP instaler, and play it nomrmaly. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and with the XP instaler I play with the windows version instead of the DOS version.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

DOS version is better. Always. The only exception would be possibly KQ6 and that's only because it has high res portrraits and a superior intro sequence. KQ5Win also has an alternate soundtrack.
Collector

Post by Collector »

MusicallyInspired wrote:DOS version is better. Always. The only exception would be possibly KQ6 and that's only because it has high res portrraits and a superior intro sequence. KQ5Win also has an alternate soundtrack.
Agreed. KQ6 is the main reason that I am awaiting the SCI support in ScummVM. There are only about three Windows only SCI games and ScummVM will be a great solution for those, too. For the vast majority of the SCI games, DOSBox handles them perfectly. True, ScummVM will be good for the devices that can't handle DOSBox, but anything that can, there is no reason to not be using DOSBox now. And as far as Larry 7,

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updat ... .html#LSL7

And unlike the Windows installer, it will eliminate the need for the CD after it is installed. It can also be used to help set it up on non Windows platforms by installing it first on a Windows machine or WINE and copying over the folder. Only the mounting commands in the dosbox.conf file need to be edited for the platform.