Looking for help: Uniformizing the ScummVM webpages

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Looking for help: Uniformizing the ScummVM webpages

Post by fingolfin »

Right now we have a ton of different websites which are not integrated at all. They look quite different from each other, too, look for yourself: It would be nice if they had a more uniform appearance. The main website and the forums are fine in this regard, I think. But what about the others? It seems to me that at least for buildbot & doxygen, it should be trivial (in terms of the required HTML & coding necessary) to touch them up a little to make them fit in better with our primary website. Also, the planet uses a rather crude imitation of the looks of our primary website; would be cool if it resembled the main website more closely. Finally, adjusting the Wiki probably is hardest (as you'd have to turn any changes into a full MediaWiki theme), but maybe also the most rewarding one...

Any people interested in helping out with one or several of these? You must know HTML and CSS. Some PHP skills (at least for reading existing PHP code) wouldn't hurt. I'd be happy to point you to the relevant files.

On the long run, it would be best to extract some common CSS rules from the primary website and then put those into a separate CSS file, which then could be shared between all sites, to ensure uniformity. Of course each site might have its own physical copy of that file, for various reasons, but they'd be identical copies. Anyway this is a detail ;).
KuroShiro

Re: Looking for help: Uniformizing the ScummVM webpages

Post by KuroShiro »

fingolfin wrote: On the long run, it would be best to extract some common CSS rules from the primary website and then put those into a separate CSS file, which then could be shared between all sites, to ensure uniformity. Of course each site might have its own physical copy of that file, for various reasons, but they'd be identical copies. Anyway this is a detail ;).
Shouldn't be necessary to have more than one, unless you need each page to be slightly different. Even then you could still put it all in one file. Unless you have other reasons at least. It *would* be pretty cool to have a ScummVM themed wiki, though as you said a bit of a pain. I would help, but kind of low on free time atm :(
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

I can help. I can read and write php. If you require any more help PM me.

Just looked the sites. the buildbot and planet seams the easiest to do.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Here are some remarks on the files which have to be modified:

For Doxygen (which to me actually seems to be easiest to adapt of them all ;) look at http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... m/doxygen/ -- there is a CSS file, as well as a footer & header file, so it should be possible to work on this with HTML & CSS only. For testing, I'd recommend saving the HTML of some of the pages served on http://doxygen.scummvm.org/ and then replacing the header/footer/HTML. This way, one does not need to setup a doxygen installation just to test things :)

The index.html file for our Buildbot can be found here: http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... ldbot/web/

There is also a buildbot.css file, which is used by all pages which buildbot generates dynamically (essentially everything but index.html). If you know Python, you can take a look at its sources to find out how it generates them. But I think that once again it would be easiest to just download some example pages generated by buildbot and tweaks the CSS till they look "good" (or at least good enough). I am not sure if there are "good" ways to insert HTML data for the header & footer of the generated pages, but in the worst case, we could tweaks buildbot to do so. But even just having a tweaked CSS file would be "nice" :)

For the Planet, look at http://scummvm.svn.sourceforge.net/view ... eb-planet/ especially the scummvm_template subdirectory.

The Wiki finally is a standard MediaWiki, and I'd hope there are websites out there which explain how to write / tweak MediaWiki themes.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

three questions

1) Must the sidebar by present for all of the sites. I think for the doxygen it would be cluttered if it was present. There should be some kind of standards that the sites must follow

2) The main site uses smarty. Should smarty be used for all sites (except wiki) or just adapt the templates

3) What about http://logs.scummvm.org/. How is generated? LeChuck Bot??
jvprat
ScummVM Developer

Post by jvprat »

billwashere wrote:three questions

1) Must the sidebar by present for all of the sites. I think for the doxygen it would be cluttered if it was present. There should be some kind of standards that the sites must follow

2) The main site uses smarty. Should smarty be used for all sites (except wiki) or just adapt the templates
I think the whole point is just about appearance, not functionality. Each site uses his own software to generate the contents, so adapting them all to use smarty would be an overkill. Just see the forums as an example, there's no need to have the main site menus here, a single link back to the main site is enough, but it looks "integrated".

About Doxygen, it was included into the main site until a year and a half ago. These are the config and style files used back then. Maybe it will be useful as a base?
billwashere wrote:3) What about http://logs.scummvm.org/. How is generated? LeChuck Bot??
Yes, and I have no idea on how customizable that one is :P
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

As Jordi wrote -- if you think a sidebar is not needed, don't put one in (I tend to agree with this notion, BTW).

I totally forgot about http://logs.scummvm.org/ (mainly because I don't use it, I use http://echelog.matzon.dk/logs/browse/scummvm instead). This should definitely be adjusted, but first we need to move LeChuck to new hosting under "our" control. Right now, Ender still hosts it. This is a project that has been "in planning" for a loooong time and sadly never got anywhere :/.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

I recommend we should uniform the titles of the Buildbot Pages. To fix the titles of the Buildbot pages.

buildbot\status\web\baseweb.py - is the basis of the html generator

On line 289 (using the version: buildbot-0.7.11p3)

Code: Select all

HEAD_ELEMENTS = [
    '<title>%&#40;title&#41;s</title>',
    '<link href="%&#40;root&#41;sbuildbot.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />',
    &#93;
should be changed to

Code: Select all

HEAD_ELEMENTS = &#91;
    '<title>doxygen.scummvm.org &#58;&#58; %&#40;title&#41;s</title>',
    '<link href="%&#40;root&#41;sbuildbot.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />',
    &#93;
What version of buildbot are you using?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

We don't really want to change the buildbot code at this point, because doing that would just lead us into maintenance hell, making it very annoying to upgrade to newer buildbot versions -- we'd have to track every change we make and port it to new versions. Much better to use a stock version of buildbot -- and hope that they implement proper theming support at some point.
(BTW, I assume you meant "bots.scummvm.org" not "doxygen.scummvm.org" in your example?)

Moreover, I have my doubts whether adding a "buildbot.scummvm.org ::" prefix helps anybody? Likewise for doxygen and our wiki. And wouldn't it be better to change the forums to use "ScummVM Forums ::" instead of "forums.scummvm.org"? Hm.

So, for now, minimally invasive changes will be preferred. :) And let's focus on unifying the looks, and worry about things like page titles another time :).
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

Has anyone else besides me, started doing this?

What have you done, so we don't over lap.

Does anyone have any new ideas?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

FYI, nobody mentioned working on this towards me so far, not via email, IRC, this forum or other media. So it would seem you are the only one -- actually I am glad at least one person is interested in helping out :).

If you need any assistance, or want to discuss details, or want to get feedback on drafts of your work, etc., feel free to ask here or email me.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

ScummVM Doxygen Update
Version 1

Changes to the config
-changed PROJECT_NAME scummvm to ScummVM
-changed CREATE_SUBDIRS YES to NO

Changes to scummvm.css
-.ftvtree

Changes to scummvm.header and scummvm.footer
-added template from the www.scummvm.org
-changed menu links to target="_parent"

Installing
-copy images and css folders to the directory of the doxygen

Problems
-Unable to create sub-directories because images and css would break
-viewing the source of a file causes the footer div and the tentacle out of place. This is caused by 2 extra </div>'s

You can download the changes here - http://rapidshare.com/files/304904732/doxygen.zip.html
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Awesome, great start! Thanks :)

But actually, I don't think we need to copy the whole menu structure of the main web site for doxygen & buildbot. Something more along the lines of the forum styles would suffice (with links back to the www.scummvm.org at the top, like the forums).

Gee, I don't want to complain, don't get me wrong ;).

As for the subdir issue regarding images and css: This could be solved (I assume, I haven't verified it) by changing the relative URLs to absolute ones. So instead of
list-style-image: url('../images/bullet.gif');
try
list-style-image: url('/images/bullet.gif');

Drawback: That probably makes "dry" testing more complicated, i.e. without running an actual server with the data.
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

ScummVM Doxygen Update
Verson 1.1
Changes to the config
-changed CREATE_SUBDIRS NO to YES

Changes to scummvm.header and scummvm.footer
-removed menued
-added javascript to change the heroes<number>.png (first available in version 1, but not noted)

Fixed Problem
-Unable to create sub-directories because images and css would break

You can download the changes here -
http://rapidshare.com/files/305423353/doxygen-1.1.zip
billwashere

Post by billwashere »

Can somebody upload the wiki skin you are using, so i can use it as a basis.