Where Can I Download Discworld 2?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

fuentesmith wrote:Hi BenAppleby,
I also know that certain sites are providing free Discworld 2. But these sites are providing the pirated copy and any recommend site does not provide it free. I hope you understand what I am saying?
BTW: How is the progress in freewaring DW and DW2?
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Nikioko wrote:
I also know that certain sites are providing free Discworld 2. But these sites are providing the pirated copy and any recommend site does not provide it free. I hope you understand what I am saying?
The WIKI is out there...
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Raziel wrote:
Nikioko wrote:
The WIKI is out there...
So, nothing new since Rock 'n Roll, all quiet on the western front... Well, as I have the games, there is no problem for me.
Robot_Maker20

Post by Robot_Maker20 »

Well, I'm certainly getting a bit fed up waiting for it to be freewared; I do have an original, legal copy of DWII, but it seems to have succumbed to bitrot in the years since I bought it and now neither disc can be read or even detected in the drive by any machine. I tried making a backup copy once, but because DWII does apparently have copy protection, some very early version of securom I think, I couldn't get the copies to work and, thinking them thus worthless (this was before ScummVM even started work on Discworld), I threw them away, and now I'm stuck with nothing.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:Well, I'm certainly getting a bit fed up waiting for it to be freewared;
...and what are you going to do with it?

Eugene
Morden

Post by Morden »

Robot_Maker20 wrote:Well, I'm certainly getting a bit fed up waiting for it to be freewared;
Think of all those games that won't become freeware. How does that make you feel? In those cases, no matter how long you wait, you'll never be able to get a game for free. Look at the bright side - Discworld should be freeware sooner or later. That's better than never, right?
I do have an original, legal copy of DWII, but it seems to have succumbed to bitrot in the years since I bought it and now neither disc can be read or even detected in the drive by any machine.
That's too bad, but it's not like you can do anything about it. The first Discworld game can be found on eBay for $20, but probably won't come with a box. Second game is pricey, so either pay up or wait. I'd wait if I was looking at paying $80 for a game which I already bought once.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

What truly sucks is that none of that inflated $80 price would even be going to the makers of the game.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Vegan wrote:What truly sucks is that none of that inflated $80 price would even be going to the makers of the game.
Yeah. A ScummVM bundeled version of DW 1 and/or 2 on GoG.com for a reasonable price would be great.

Unfortunately, the games can not be sold as new for the same reason they are not freeware; The rights to them are in limbo.....
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

bobdevis wrote:
Vegan wrote:What truly sucks is that none of that inflated $80 price would even be going to the makers of the game.
Yeah. A ScummVM bundeled version of DW 1 and/or 2 on GoG.com for a reasonable price would be great.

Unfortunately, the games can not be sold as new for the same reason they are not freeware; The rights to them are in limbo.....
Well, if nobody has the rights, no one would complain and sue you if you just copy them. Therefore there must be anyone having the copyright...
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Someone owns the copyrights just not sure who, if they weren't sold off to another company when the developer disappeared then either Terry Pratchett or one of the former employees probably has the rights.