Where Can I Download Discworld 2?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BenAppleby
Got a warning

Where Can I Download Discworld 2?

Post by BenAppleby »

Where can I download Discworld 2 for free?

I hope someone can help me and I'll be truly grateful

I'd prefer the talkie version but if that's not possible I'd settle for the non talkie...

Ben
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

It's not freeware, forum rule #0.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

It's not free !
BenAppleby
Got a warning

Post by BenAppleby »

it is free... i know of people that have downloaded it online.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

It's not LEGAL to download.
BenAppleby
Got a warning

Post by BenAppleby »

actually it is legal, if you have an original copy.

whiiiich i do... just it's old and scratched etc
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

That's still not legal.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

moderatorial: BenAppleby, care to read the Forum Rule #0? You got a warning.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

BenAppleby wrote:actually it is legal, if you have an original copy.
That's not true. That's just a lame excuse.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

I love pseudo-lawyers.

Ownership of one version does not entitle you to ownership of another. Me owning the 360 version of Lego Star Wars doesn't entitle me to the PS3 version. Half the things I've bought on Steam would've been free, using your crazy logic.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

whiiiich i do... just it's old and scratched etc
Since the software license is not restricted to the data carrier, you are right. But you should have made your safety copies and used those instead BEFORE you scratched the original one. However, you might be able to get substitute when you contact the holder of the rights. And download from the internet from obviously illegal sources is prohibited.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, the laws vary a bit from country to country, but in the US and Japan at least it is only legal to make and run a *backup copy* of software you already own, and that you've made yourself. I.E. Nintendo has stated that flashcart readers for the DS are technically legal, and are still legal if you are playing backups of games you own yourself, but NOT to play any sort of game you haven't personally made a backup of.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

KuroShiro wrote:Well, the laws vary a bit from country to country, but in the US and Japan at least it is only legal to make and run a *backup copy* of software you already own, and that you've made yourself. I.E. Nintendo has stated that flashcart readers for the DS are technically legal, and are still legal if you are playing backups of games you own yourself, but NOT to play any sort of game you haven't personally made a backup of.
Well, and in other countries, copy protection mechanisms that prevent people making their safety copies are illegal, which I consider to be a good law. I personnally use NO DVD cracks on software that I own to first protect the original DVD from being scrtched and second to be freed from the requirement of a DVD being inserted all the time. Some companies consider that being illegal because their program is altered but I think that altering legally obtained programs for accomodating to own needs is just right. The right of having a safety copy weighs higher than the companies' right to have their data carriers to be copy protected. But cracking, copying and spreading software of which you haven't the right to use is illegal, of course.
Morden

Post by Morden »

KuroShiro wrote:(...) Nintendo has stated that flashcart readers for the DS are technically legal, and are still legal if you are playing backups of games you own yourself, but NOT to play any sort of game you haven't personally made a backup of.
It's a bit off topic, but that's really surprising and unlike Nintendo. I heard they were actually quite tough on flash device manufacturers. Do you have a link to some official statement by Nintendo that they consider these legal? Not that I don't believe you, it's just a bit of a shocker and I'd gladly read this information myself.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Morden wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:(...) Nintendo has stated that flashcart readers for the DS are technically legal, and are still legal if you are playing backups of games you own yourself, but NOT to play any sort of game you haven't personally made a backup of.
It's a bit off topic, but that's really surprising and unlike Nintendo. I heard they were actually quite tough on flash device manufacturers. Do you have a link to some official statement by Nintendo that they consider these legal? Not that I don't believe you, it's just a bit of a shocker and I'd gladly read this information myself.
Oh, Nintendo doesn't like them and has done everything in their power to stop them (although it's been circumvented, which is decidedly more fuzzy in legality), but there is nothing that is actually illegal about the readers unless the card firmware itself uses copyrighted code. I doubt I would be able to find an official release from Nintendo as they probably want as few people knowing about those things as possible, but a legal statement is included basically anywhere you can buy a flash card reader.

I think if Nintendo had a real legal leg to stand on there, they would have shut down all the manufacturers/retailers long ago.