The Manhole...

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

Can you specify what is displayed in your console window when you try to add the game ?
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Have you taken a look at the Datafiles list?
Anyway, out of morbid interest I googled around for you in case your versions are not supported.

- Anniversary Edition
What platform is this for? I can't find this information.
In case it's DOS, you should try Dosbox.

- Mac version from 1988
This can be tough to pull off. You will need a classic Mac (68000 processor) emulator.
The Wiki page of Mac OS mentions emulators (vMac, Basilisk II, and Executor) but even they have fallen into obscurity now. None of their websites seem to be updated much in a long while.
Then there is the problem of obtaining a MacOS version older then 8.1 to run on it.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The Mac version is not supported. Not sure about the anniversary edition, is that the CD-ROM one?
Kaminari

Post by Kaminari »

If you're talking about the Masterpiece Edition (the one which was remade to look like Myst), I don't think it's supported by ScummVM.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

I accidentally deleted Jon God's original post here when removing the spam post. (Maybe I should do this while I'm more awake... :oops:) Here is the original:
Jon God wrote:I have the mac version from 1988, and the anniversary edition, are neither of these supported?
Sorry about that!
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

bobdevis wrote:- Mac version from 1988
This can be tough to pull off. You will need a classic Mac (68000 processor) emulator.
The Wiki page of Mac OS mentions emulators (vMac, Basilisk II, and Executor) but even they have fallen into obscurity now. None of their websites seem to be updated much in a long while.
Then there is the problem of obtaining a MacOS version older then 8.1 to run on it.
It's a little difficult to work with, but it's not as bad as you make it sound. System 7.5.3 (and the System 7.5.5 update) is a free download from Apple, for starers - but getting it installed is tricky. And the trail of old versions of Basilisk II is a thoroughly confusing one. http://www.emaculation.com is the place to go for all your information.

Even then, it might be possible to extract the necessary data files with HFVexplorer, as is the case with, for instance, the Mac verison of Sam & Max. But the question is a bit moot if the Mac version is simple not supported.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

And I just noticed Baselisk2 is (still) in the Debian/Ubuntu repository.
I'm tempted to give this a spin for the 'museum experience' :)
Jon God

Post by Jon God »

Clarification time.

Alright, I already have a emulator set up to run the mac version, I was just hoping I could use ScummVM since it's easier, and not as much of a hasstle, no biggie.

The masterpiece edition, yeah, sorry, I miss-remembered. As for what systems it runs in, I am not fully sure, the Mac version is OS9, I know that much. Meaning I gotta run it in classic, which is kind of annoying.

Being that these games are based on hypercard/hyper talk, I can't imagine them being too hard to support in the future. Not being a programmer I can't help, but I have worked in Hyper Card before, and it is like a simple version of HTML or something, Click here, moves to this page, click here returns you to this page, ect.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Jon God wrote:The masterpiece edition, yeah, sorry, I miss-remembered. As for what systems it runs in, I am not fully sure, the Mac version is OS9, I know that much. Meaning I gotta run it in classic, which is kind of annoying.
Sheepshaver is your friend.
Jon God wrote:Being that these games are based on hypercard/hyper talk, I can't imagine them being too hard to support in the future. Not being a programmer I can't help, but I have worked in Hyper Card before, and it is like a simple version of HTML or something, Click here, moves to this page, click here returns you to this page, ect.
HyperCard would be an interesting thing to work on. As for whether that fits into the scope of ScummVM is another question... it was used for some games (Myst (Original Mac), The Manhole (Mac), other early Cyan games) but also for a lot of non-game stuff.
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

But there are already projects that offer HyperCard compatibility, no? Trying to reimplement HyperTalk in all its glory seems rather beyond the scope of ScummVM, certainly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperCard

By the way, just a few months ago there was an update to the Executor source code (which has been out for some time), making its compilation much more feasible. I reckon it is now remotely possible to make fully-portable "carbonless copies" of many 68k apps.
http://github.com/ctm/executor/tree/master