Broken Sword & Hints

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

harvey 73

Broken Sword & Hints

Post by harvey 73 »

I played Broken Sword Directors Cut on my DS and loved it.

Got me thinking about using ScummVM on my pocket pc which I've downloaded. I bought a copy of Broken Sword trilogy dirt cheap and loaded Broken Sword on my pocket pc.

Thought I'd play through the first one to see the differences between the PC and DS versions.

One thing I've noticed is I can't seem to access the hint feature that was on the DS (if indeed it is on the pc version at all).

Is there a hint option on this game? I couldn't have completed it on the DS without the odd hint and can't see myself doing Broken Sword 2 or 3 on my pocket pc if they don't offer the hint option either.

Sorry for the long post.

Any help appreciated.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

The hints were added to the Director's Cut, none of the original games had them.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

Back then (1996?) players still had to use their brains in order to complete the game :P.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

SithlordDK wrote:Back then (1996?) players still had to use their brains in order to complete the game :P.
Or rather they used a walkthrough from a gaming magazine ;-).
Last edited by LordHoto on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soniq

Post by soniq »

you can always look for hints/walkthroughs on gamefaqs.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

soniq wrote:you can always look for hints/walkthroughs on gamefaqs.
I prefer uhs-hints.com for adventure games. Gamefaqs will just tell you right-out what you're supposed to do, and spoil it.
harvey 73

Post by harvey 73 »

Thanks guys.

Bit disappointed there aren't any built in hints but hey I spent less than £10 on the trilogy cd so can't complain.

Will have to use the old brain power or download a walk through and save on my pda.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

you should, it's totally worth it if you ask me;)
alexfont

Post by alexfont »

Its really something I want to try, the DS version of Broken Sword. I don't play it for a long time but want to see what new things we got in this version. Bad thing is that DS version don't have speech dialogues :(
harvey 73

Post by harvey 73 »

alexfont wrote:Its really something I want to try, the DS version of Broken Sword. I don't play it for a long time but want to see what new things we got in this version. Bad thing is that DS version don't have speech dialogues :(
DS version was my first introduction to this game so I didn't really miss out on the audio (or more to the point know I was missing out on it).

I must admit I loved the DS version. I'm playing through the original version again on my pocket pc phone (I prefer playing on a phone than a DS).

I've not finished the original version but would recommend the directors cut version as it does have quite a bit extra (from what I've seen so far).

I think the directors cut version can be had on other platforms as well. Don't know if they have the audio if that's important to you.
raina

Post by raina »

The Director's Cut also exists on the Nintendo Wii and is one of the main reasons I plan on getting one. I am interested in the new content, couldn't care less about hints, have no reason to believe it wasn't fully voiced and think it's almost worth it for the enhanced audio quality of the music alone.
JamesWoodcock

Post by JamesWoodcock »

The Wii version is superb with the Wii controller... The platform should make more use of point and click adventures as the platform suits the universe perfectly.

The extra scenes within the game compared to the PC version are a nice addition, however some of the Wii controller orientated puzzles are a little difficult to control to the point of frustration.

Many of the characters animations when talking to George are sadly not present, however now your eyes are drawn towards the new large boxes showing new character faces and interactions. No movement, but expressions are shown instead.

Overall the game was full of enjoyment and the high quality music is a massive plus compared to the low resolution available on the original.

You can find out more about my view here if you so wish :)
http://www.jameswoodcock.co.uk/?p=1604