Heroes of Might and Magic II

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Touchen

Heroes of Might and Magic II

Post by Touchen »

Do you have plans about this great game. There is nowdays a free engine available. It would be great to play this with phone!
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I think it's outside the scope of ScummVM but as I have little knowledge of the series I'm not 100% sure.
nabla

Post by nabla »

It is outside of the scope of scummvm as it is a round based strategy game (great nonetheless). (Unless I'm mistaken as 2 is the very only game in the series I haven't played, but 1, 3, 4 and 5 were quite similar ;) )
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, if even Discworld Noir, Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey are out of scope, you can bet that non-adventure games definitely are.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

That is because they are incompatible with ScummVM, since it is a 2D-environment.
Morden

Post by Morden »

There is a working Windows version, but I'm not sure whether or not it will run on Vista. I'm running Win XP on my desktop and it was working fine last time I played it. I installed the version that came bundled with special edition of HoM&M V.

Besides, I'm sure you can run the DOS version using DOSBox just fine.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Morden wrote:There is a working Windows version, but I'm not sure whether or not it will run on Vista. I'm running Win XP on my desktop and it was working fine last time I played it. I installed the version that came bundled with special edition of HoM&M V.

Besides, I'm sure you can run the DOS version using DOSBox just fine.
Well, you can run most games supported by ScummVM in Dosbox just fine. That's not really the point, no?

It's true that HoMM2 is definitely not in the scope of ScummVM though.
Morden

Post by Morden »

KuroShiro wrote:Well, you can run most games supported by ScummVM in Dosbox just fine. That's not really the point, no?

What I meant was, it's not like there is no alternative way to run the game. Like I said before, there is a Windows version that runs just fine under Win 9X and XP. I don't know about Vista, but if it doesn't, you always have DOSBox and it will work just fine.

But I get it, people like it the easy way. Add a game folder, click, and play. Who has the time to mount a drive under DOSBox? I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that of all games, HoM&M2 is the least likely game to be supported and there already is a way to run it that works.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Morden wrote:But I get it, people like it the easy way. Add a game folder, click, and play. Who has the time to mount a drive under DOSBox? I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that of all games, HoM&M2 is the least likely game to be supported and there already is a way to run it that works.
There are some DOSBox frontends. I don't know how nice they are though. But it might be worth checking out those for easing DOSBox use.

Personally I think that mounting devices is pretty simple though. There's nice documentation for it on the DOSBox wiki. And at least for the harddisk it would make sense to add some automated mounting in your DOSBox config file.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Came across this by accident today. Looks like there already is an engine interpreter for HoM&M2. I see only a Win32 build and sources, though.

I also found an interpreter for HoM&M3, called VCMI - A project active since 2007. You can check it out here
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Morden wrote:
KuroShiro wrote:Well, you can run most games supported by ScummVM in Dosbox just fine. That's not really the point, no?

What I meant was, it's not like there is no alternative way to run the game. Like I said before, there is a Windows version that runs just fine under Win 9X and XP. I don't know about Vista, but if it doesn't, you always have DOSBox and it will work just fine.

But I get it, people like it the easy way. Add a game folder, click, and play. Who has the time to mount a drive under DOSBox? I'm not trying to be a jerk. It's just that of all games, HoM&M2 is the least likely game to be supported and there already is a way to run it that works.
I didn't think you were being a jerk. I just meant that the point was more to be able to run it on multiple platforms, since the OP said they wanted to play it on a phone.

I don't even think ScummVM is easier for most people, who are more used to the install->play method of running games and might be confused by the method of setting up data files.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Charlii wrote:That is because they are incompatible with ScummVM, since it is a 2D-environment.
OK, that might be a point. But these games are pre-rendered rather than realtime 3D.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Nikioko wrote:
Charlii wrote:That is because they are incompatible with ScummVM, since it is a 2D-environment.
OK, that might be a point. But these games are pre-rendered rather than realtime 3D.
No, at least Discworld Noir and Grim Fandango has 3D sprites on 2D backgrounds.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Nikioko wrote:OK, that might be a point. But these games are pre-rendered rather than realtime 3D.
The backgrounds are pre-rendered, but the characters aren't. Neither are the items you can pick up and numerous interactive objects, so real time 3D graphics are being used, but not for the whole environments.