Space Quest / King's Quest on Steam

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sukru

Space Quest / King's Quest on Steam

Post by sukru »

I know it is similar to Monkey Island situation, but since it's coming from a different publisher, I'm still optimistic.

Did anybody try running Steam versions of these series on ScummVM? How is the compatibility situation?

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2679/
BJ_Wanlund

Post by BJ_Wanlund »

Was wondering the same thing. Is this the same King's Quest & Space Quest Collections they released a few yrs ago with ScummVM?

BJ
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

If I remember correctly, these run through DOSBox, which means that all original datafiles have to be present and therefore there should be no problem at all in running them with ScummVM
Mud

Post by Mud »

BJ_Wanlund wrote:Is this the same King's Quest & Space Quest Collections they released a few yrs ago with ScummVM?
Yes, unfortunately. :(
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Mud wrote:
BJ_Wanlund wrote:Is this the same King's Quest & Space Quest Collections they released a few yrs ago with ScummVM?
Yes, unfortunately. :(
There a King's Quest collection with ScummVM? That sounds odd, I would guess there's only one with DOSBox.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Whoops. I thought he said DOSBox. :oops:
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

So Activision don't mind just chucking half-arsed "collections" somewhere for the sake of making some quick money. Even more hilarious considering they had nothing to do with their making to begin with. :roll:

Not to mention that they're having a cheek by charging £10 a piece (yes, I know there's currently a discount atm but that's obviously a temporary thing) considering the shining example LucasArts made recently with their Steam prices.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

The Steam releases don't use DOSBox, iirc. They use one of Steam's emulators or something.
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

marzipan wrote:Not to mention that they're having a cheek by charging £10 a piece (yes, I know there's currently a discount atm but that's obviously a temporary thing) considering the shining example LucasArts made recently with their Steam prices.
Ahem... the collections consist of SEVERAL games, while the LA-games are sold separately... so 10 bucks is a great price, I'd say.
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

If these are straight from the Collection CDs, aren't they missing files, need fan patches, running ancient versions of Dosbox, etc? I think I heard something about a plethora of problems with those version
sukru

Post by sukru »

The situation seems to be bad:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=924105

It's KQ 1-7 only, and 1-6 are run through DOSBox, while KQ 7 does not run (forum users tell it's a Win 98 game).

They are probably using older versions, and the copy protection is still in the game.
Collector

Post by Collector »

These are the 2006 collections released by VU on steam. They are flawed in the same ways as the collections, i.e. missing games, missing files, and just the 16 bit Windows only version of KQ7, which means that anyone with 64 bit windows is SOL. It uses a very old version of DOSBox that cannot be upgraded without breaking the launcher. Steam had contacted Qbix about the release, but they insisted that DOSBox could not be upgraded to a more recent version. The dosbox.conf file is hard coded into the launcher and is incompatible with modern versions of DOSBox. I do not know how Steam has modified them to suit their purposes and thus do not know if my 2006 collection patches will work with them or not.
Qbix

Post by Qbix »

Collector wrote:Steam had contacted Qbix about the release, but they insisted that DOSBox could not be upgraded to a more recent version.
I contacted them, after hearing some rumour that they were testing the collections to be put on steam. Not the other way around
saulob

Post by saulob »

So, because of the Monkey Island SE success on Steam they (Actvision) are releasing they adventures too.

Nice :)

The only bad thing is that they are not upgraded version :(
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

saulob wrote:So, because of the Monkey Island SE success on Steam they (Actvision) are releasing they adventures too.

Nice :)

The only bad thing is that they are not upgraded version :(
Kinda weird to call them Activision's adventures, considering it was all the work of Sierra the first time round (and the good pre-Black-Monday Sierra did way more professionally done game collections than what Vivendi crapped out in a rush years later).