Space Quest / King's Quest on Steam

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

saulob

Post by saulob »

marzipan wrote:
saulob wrote:So, because of the Monkey Island SE success on Steam they (Actvision) are releasing they adventures too.

Nice :)

The only bad thing is that they are not upgraded version :(
Kinda weird to call them Activision's adventures, considering it was all the work of Sierra the first time round (and the good pre-Black-Monday Sierra did way more professionally done game collections than what Vivendi crapped out in a rush years later).
I know that, and you're right.

But it's not Sierra that's releasing, right? So it's Actvision ("they") that's releasing the game... :wink:
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Can I just copy the games to my really old PC with Windows 95 and no internet connection? Or is it like with LucasArts, that there are files missing, preventing them to run in its original environment?
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

I think Steam has DRM on it's executables, but if the data files are untouched they should be playable with ScummVM!
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Charlii wrote:I think Steam has DRM on it's executables, but if the data files are untouched they should be playable with ScummVM!
Usually with DOS games originating from Steam you could easily get around the DRM issue by overwriting its version of DOSBox with a newer build from the official site (or CVS-build-hosting pages). :wink:
t0mme

Post by t0mme »

If the Collections on Steam are the same as the boxed versions from a couple of years back you can still run KQ7, by 'degrading' it to its DOS-version with a fanmade patch (the 1.4 version).

Still a bummer they skipped some AGI-versions...
Collector

Post by Collector »

t0mme wrote:If the Collections on Steam are the same as the boxed versions from a couple of years back you can still run KQ7, by 'degrading' it to its DOS-version with a fanmade patch (the 1.4 version).
My patch does not downgrade the game. It is a true upgrade. It updates it from the version 1.4 that shipped with the 2006 collection to version 2.00b, which had both Windows and DOS interpreters. 1.4 only had the Windows interpreter. I just did not include the 2.00b Windows interpreter as it is useless on modern systems as well as it cuts down on the size of the patch.